Coyote night Equitment

The problems we saw started at about your coldest temperatures. Going from temperatures above that to colder environments the poi will begin to move, typically low and right. The Trails moved as much as a couple feet at 100 yds. The Thermion, my last unit moved 1-2" from a warm environment (pickup) to cold in a half hour. The colder the unit got, the more it moved. As it warmed, the poi would start walking back.

Pulsar replaced each scope with another defective unit. My last one, Trail 2 XP50 I sold nib with full disclosure of my issues with the previous scopes. The new owner said it moves just like the others.

Maybe you got a gem but it could be it just doesn't get as cold in your neck of the woods. Be interesting to pop that XM in the ADM off, set it in the freezer for a half hour and check it. My $ says the poi will move. Mute point if your only ever dealing with 20 degree temperatures though. Our night season starts late Nov, we can be getting into those temperatures before season even starts.
I am curious and will absolutely try it out to know. Thanks for the info.

Got me curious, I'm going to throw my thermion in the freezer now also. ...never had an issue before.

I'm running a Super Hogster and have been pleased with it. Definitely get a hand held scanner. I have a pulsar xd19 I've had for a few years and it gets the job done. Can't remember the name of my tripod but it has the hog saddle on it. Seems like I ordered it from hog saddle as a kit. This isn't a cheap game to get into

Good info, much appreciated. It's a bit intimidating when first looking into NVO's. It's just a lot of coin to drop to have something that won't run right and you can't in good faith pass it on to someone else without letting them know about it's issues. So you'll likely take a hit, I'm sure a lot of you have been down this road from the sound of it.

I've been thinking of getting something for hunting coyotes here locally at night. My father in law has the entry level Pulsar Thermal mono, it's ok for what it is. It is pretty amazing what you can see with even lower end thermal.

Plus there's the decision to go with NV or Thermal. Both have their pros and cons, I guess it would depend on location and users needs as to which fits the bill. Some of these optics are fairly sensitive to the environment, rain, cold temps, shock from being bumped around, etc.

I live in a fairly brushy, overgrown area. Where anything I take out at night is probably going to have to be tough. I'm thinking about just getting a PVS14 and running it behind a RDS or an EOTech. Where I'm hunting I'm limited to about 100-150yds and it's steep, slick and chances are good there will be some bumps along the way.

Good info, much appreciated. It's a bit intimidating when first looking into NVO's. It's just a lot of coin to drop to have something that won't run right and you can't in good faith pass it on to someone else without letting them know about it's issues. So you'll likely take a hit, I'm sure a lot of you have been down this road from the sound of it.

I've been thinking of getting something for hunting coyotes here locally at night. My father in law has the entry level Pulsar Thermal mono, it's ok for what it is. It is pretty amazing what you can see with even lower end thermal.

Plus there's the decision to go with NV or Thermal. Both have their pros and cons, I guess it would depend on location and users needs as to which fits the bill. Some of these optics are fairly sensitive to the environment, rain, cold temps, shock from being bumped around, etc.

I live in a fairly brushy, overgrown area. Where anything I take out at night is probably going to have to be tough. I'm thinking about just getting a PVS14 and running it behind a RDS or an EOTech. Where I'm hunting I'm limited to about 100-150yds and it's steep, slick and chances are good there will be some bumps along the way.
I tried the pvs14 behind my eotech, helmet mounted with a laser and behind a dayscope with an adapter. Never was fully pleased. Especially when I'd scan with my thermal monocular then struggle to pick it up with my pvs. Especially for the money I spent on the pvs. My super Hogster was cheaper

So you think if you had it to do over again you would go with the Bering Hogster? The price is definitely attractive, I would really like to be able to hunt coyote at night here. We have a den that needs cleared out and Ive been striking out in daylight.

Can't comment on the thermals or NV, (still using red lights) but the Night Stalker tripod recommended is a good one. I use it every time I night hunt and sometimes during the day depending on setup.

I have run everything from ATN night vision to N-vision and trijicon thermals, Right now I have 2 sightmarks wraiths, A super hogster, a R35 hogster, a AGM rattler 35, AGM taipan, a tripod is a must!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.