Thanksgiving night coyote

yotesniper13

Headed out at about 10:00 pm thanksgiving night for some coyote calling. We walked into our first stand quietly in the dark. The moon was not out so it was nice and dark. Started calling with my foxpro and at about 5 minutes I had a bobcat creeping on me at 50 yards. Bobcat season starts Dec 1 so it got a pass. At 15 minutes this nice little female charged right in to some rabbit distress. She stopped at about 60-75 yds out for a nice shot. It was so calm that my breath was blocking my view of her through my scope. She looked at me for a second then she turned to run away. I shot as she was leaving and put a 53gr V max up her backside. She spun and went down. I continued calling for a couple minutes. I looked over and she sat up and started crawling away. I had to shoot her again. On to the next stand. Got set up in a treeline watching some pasture with trees bordering it. Started calling and got eyes immediately at 200 yds to the west. Only saw them for a second. He didn't like me as he started challenging me a minute later. We talked back and forth for 20 minutes. Just about when I was going to give up on him I hear my buddy shoot. He is 40 yds to my east. My attention is on him now. I looked up in time to see a coyote do a fly by in front of me at 20 yds. My first shot missed and the second one hit him on a full run at 50 yds. He spun and went down for a second before blasting off into the darkness. My buddy had a coyote come right to him at 25 yds but had some issues with his rifle and when he finally got it figured out he must have missed a rushed shot. I went out and found blood from mine but couldn't find him. Went back the next morning and still couldn't find him. Anyway we had a fun night of calling. Here's a pic.
20131128_235102.jpg

Yes, most of the coyotes around here are lighter colored. I think I'm going to have to get out again tonight. I have a couple spots I haven't called in a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.