couple questions (thanks in advance)

Cycklone

ok i been all over this site but didn't find the answer (some are just for me some aren't)

1 what is a Savage 16 (VFSS?)it is SS/brake in 300WM NIB worth wally-world has a mistake for $400 here and i did the Layaway (before it goes out in Dec) can cancel it if not worth 400ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2 have a 308 2-400 rounds down the tube (got it used they documented 200 rounds in range book they shot in comp. I have shot 50 so far) how many rounds is barrel worth shooting mostly cheap Federals/Military ball/Winchester/ 0 handloads using this at the local 250 range (haven't done this kinda shooting but have wanted to for long time)

3 ok now for the 1mil $$ question..
rebarreling 308 and 300 win....when i get there
what calibers do i have to choose from I will be kinda looking at the 6-7mm area (i haven't seen a list but i think it would be useful.. maybe even add one for 30-06.... we all know some of the diehards but with all the wildcats)

Thank so much........ and there is SOOOO much info here if ya know where the link is for cals post it i wouldn't retype it either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cyck

The 308 can be redone in any standard boltface round in a short action. Options include 6BR and its offspring, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, 260 Rem, 7-08, 308 again, 6.5x47 Lapua or 6-6.5 Lapua and many many many more.

For the 300WM, I would say stay on with it. You can switch to a 30-338WM which should get you a little more barrel life without really giving anything up. This is basically a 308 Norma Mag. You can go with 7mm Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag or any of the STW family. You can also go with a WSM or RSAUM round with a little action modifications. That would also allow you to go for a little more umph with the shortmags as you could seat the bullets out further increasing effective case capacity. Other viable options for LR hunting include Kirby's Allen Mags based on RUM cases or Dakota based mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.