A couple questions

IMO-The 280ai would be the minimum I'd look at for your intended purpose.

With the same goal in mind I just built a 30 Nosler. My original intent was to build a 300WM to shoot 200-215's. I found a good deal on a Defiance Tenacity but it was cut for the ultra mags, so I thought why not a 30 Nos.

I went with APR since they have done nothing but great things for me and had it built on an APR designed CF stock from AG Composites, Muller barrel, Jewel trigger and a Vias brake. This is in the wheel house of some of the rifles you've mentioned or just a tad over. It weighs just under 7 pounds for the empty rifle only.

I then added a VX6HD which again I'd say will more than work for your goals and under your budget.

I'm not saying this is the best or the direction you should go just pointed out what I did to rattle some ideas for you.

20191002_100212.jpg

Last edited:
GAP Non Typical starts around $3000 add a brake and McMillan Edge or Manners CF stock and you're still under the $4K budget. Plus you'll be under 10 lbs when you scope it. The NT comes in pretty much any cartridge you want even the WSM family.

You can get a VX5/6 HD Leupold and stay under $2K on optics pretty easily.

Some great ideas here, thanks for all the feedback! I think at this point I am probably leaning to a 7mm or a 300 of some variation. A related question, anyone had any experience with Straight Jacket Armory? I like the looks of their packlite rem-pack 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.