coughing after long shooting session

FALAK

This is an odd topic

I find myself shooting more often lately in the range. After shooting 100-200 rounds for practice, I would cough for a few days. Not sputum, but dry cough. My lower bronchus got very irritated as if inhaling toxic fume. Does that happen to anyone? I have not seen this being discussed. Does anyone actually wearing a respiratory mask to the range?

I'm 64 years old and have never experienced this problem. I have not seen anyone using a respirator at the range or at a prairie dog shot. Wish I could be of more help.

Just a guess.

Some of the cleaning fluids we use today are quite toxic. You might have dribbled some on the stock and holding a cheek weld for a couple hundred shoots you could suck up a lot of the fumes and possibly not smell them.

I don't know what your access to healthcare is, but I'd encourage you to see a doctor. There any number of things you could be reacting to, and your lung function may, or may not be returning to normal between episodes.
I don't know how to setup links- I, but Web/MD has a place you can plug in symptoms, and get some feedback. It won't substitute for an exam, but you'll have better questions to ask when you see a doctor. Good Luck

I'm 68 and have been heavily shoots many of those years. Never experienced what you are experiencing.

However, my spleen had to be removed and my liver is a dud.:rolleyes: If it was shooting that caused it, it was well worth it.:)

I'd get it checked.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems to be a rare phenomenon. I think asthma type reaction is the most likely cause. I will look into it. I just want to poll people's experieces

Thank you again

I'm near 61 and a day at the range seems lately to make me ill. But the range is windy ev afternoon and the stuff blowing around is like off of alkali flats so am gonna wear paper dust mask each visit now. I'm chronic asthmatic from birth and I jus tthink it;s the dust and not the smoke or smokeless smoke thats making me feel ill. I'd try wearing a dust mask, theyre cheap at auto zone or chinamart.

I'm near 61 and a day at the range seems lately to make me ill. But the range is windy ev afternoon and the stuff blowing around is like off of alkali flats so am gonna wear paper dust mask each visit now. I'm chronic asthmatic from birth and I jus tthink it;s the dust and not the smoke or smokeless smoke thats making me feel ill. I'd try wearing a dust mask, theyre cheap at auto zone or chinamart.

Exactly what I am thinking

Good shooting (for both of us)!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.