Corporate Grind

TexasSportsman

I was reading an article online how the Gen Z won't accept employment for certain positions due the lack of desire to face the corporate grind. That those positions are soul sucking and don't like the 8 - 5 work hours or commute.

I recall talking to a friend of mine who promoted up the ranks to Lt. Col in the army. He's had a distinguished career. During college he had a friend who was in the same fraternity who excelled in intramural sports and all his courses. He graduated early and had a great start in the corporate world.

I told my friend, the Lt. Col. that I believed I found info on his college friend and sent him the Facebook link. His friend was employed as a range for the US Forest Service. We were both surprised that it was the same guy he knew in college. Its interesting how the road of life takes you where you least expect.

We speculated that he grew tired of the grind and all that went with it. We also speculated that office politics can really suck the soul out of you.

We don't know which forest he's working but we imagine that with his education he was offered promotions over the years which would have taken him out of the field in back into the offices that he really disliked. Of course there is the lower salary of a park ranger but if he hated the corporate world that much the lower pay is worth the trade off.

When I was professionally unemployed I took a job processing court documents at 1/3 of my professional salary. I had to find something to keep the lights on. I worked that job for a year and a half before I was professionally employed again. The job was easy and well beneath my skill level but there wasn't the grind of corporate. At the end of the day I wasn't stressed nor was I up at night thinking about work. Ha ha, I could feel my hair growing back.

I then found professional employment about a year and a half later. I didn't know who well I had it processing court documents. I didn't have to work overtime, holidays, evenings or weekends. I worked 8-4 and I was outta there. I had no deadlines. I didn't have to prepare and present to 40 people or more every couple of weeks. Believe it or not I long for the days of that menial job at $25/hr. processing court documents.

The people that I worked with thought I was lucky to find professional employment again. Was I really lucky or maybe they didn't know that ignorance is bliss and they're lucky that they don't know what I know about the grind.

All I can say is that I'm a better person since retiring. What I once did, professionally, and who I once was in the coporate rat race is now thankfully in the past. I was able to just let it go like steam out of a pressure cooker. I still receive offers to consult, however, that's just not going to happen. I check every morning to see if any of my hair has grown back... sadly, that's total loss.

Last edited:
Boy I'm definitely from the wrong generation! I'm currently at work now . Every day is Monday as I'm 7 days a week for 82-83 hours . It does suck to work every day but I can pay for some nice stuff . I guess growing up not having much makes you work harder for what you want. Most of that generation has had everything handed to them .

One of the sacrifices that I had to make working at that $25 an hour job was hunting and fishing. At that hourly rate I couldn't afford the hunting and fishing trips that I could in the past.

The closest thing to a fishing expedition is a party boat out into the bay.

I could go hunting on public lands but with a number of people applying for those permits in a lottery makes it nearly impossible to win a tag.

So I have a safe full of hunting rifles and shotguns that I haven't used in a while.

After I was professionally employed again I had to play catch up with my retirement and save up as much money as I could which sadly forced me to sacrifice hunting and fishing.

I married now and my wife's income which is roughly half of my current salary contributes greatly to what we want to do.

My wife's trip back to the Philippines visit family is nearly as expensive as going on a nice hunting trip and sadly we cannot do both. That said I will never deny her the opportunity to visit her family. Additionally we will not go into debt just to be able to do both. Either we can pay cash or we don't go at all.

She wants me to go hunting and fishing again and wants to join me but when I explain the hardships that go along with it she'd rather stay home. She likes to sleep in.

I do have a membership to a private gun club dues are about $200 a year so I haven't given up sport shooting. Shooting trap and skeet as well as a paper target at 200 yards is never the same as going hunting.

Last edited:
Retirement is great….but the "Golden Years"? Not sure it is all that true. Just saying.
Agreed, Rick. My "golden years" are more like the Tin Man years without the oil can! On the bright side...we earned every ache and pain...in some cases with compound interest!

I looked into donating my body to science, however, they referred me to the Dept. of Curiosity's at the local museum. So I just smile, bear it and mostly listen, these days. Complaining doesn't accomplish much. I have found something fun... If prefaced correctly, you can say what you want (just to mess with folks) and get away with it because they chalk it up to age and wisdom. 🤔😅

Enjoy what you have, do what you can, eat what you want and get in the field or to the range often. That's the best therapy I can offer anyone.

I was reading an article online how the Gen Z won't accept employment for certain positions due the lack of desire to face the corporate grind. That those positions are soul sucking and don't like the 8 - 5 work hours or commute.

I recall talking to a friend of mine who promoted up the ranks to Lt. Col in the army. He's had a distinguished career. During college he had a friend who was in the same fraternity who excelled in intramural sports and all his courses. He graduated early and had a great start in the corporate world.

I told my friend, the Lt. Col. that I believed I found info on his college friend and sent him the Facebook link. His friend was employed as a range for the US Forest Service. We were both surprised that it was the same guy he knew in college. Its interesting how the road of life takes you where you least expect.

We speculated that he grew tired of the grind and all that went with it. We also speculated that office politics can really suck the soul out of you.

We don't know which forest he's working but we imagine that with his education he was offered promotions over the years which would have taken him out of the field in back into the offices that he really disliked. Of course there is the lower salary of a park ranger but if he hated the corporate world that much the lower pay is worth the trade off.

When I was professionally unemployed I took a job processing court documents at 1/3 of my professional salary. I had to find something to keep the lights on. I worked that job for a year and a half before I was professionally employed again. The job was easy and well beneath my skill level but there wasn't the grind of corporate. At the end of the day I wasn't stressed nor was I up at night thinking about work. Ha ha, I could feel my hair growing back.

I then found professional employment about a year and a half later. I didn't know who well I had it processing court documents. I didn't have to work overtime, holidays, evenings or weekends. I worked 8-4 and I was outta there. I had no deadlines. I didn't have to prepare and present to 40 people or more every couple of weeks. Believe it or not I long for the days of that menial job at $25/hr. processing court documents.

The people that I worked with thought I was lucky to find professional employment again. Was I really lucky or maybe they didn't know that ignorance is bliss and they're lucky that they don't know what I know about the gr
I'm assuming you're saying District Ranger on a National Forest. You also mention Park Ranger, which is completely different.

Huh…that would mean he would work for the National Park Service. The USFS has no "park rangers." Fact. The USFS does have wilderness rangers…perhaps that's what he meant. The USFS doesn't manage "park" land so no position descriptions carry that word in the agency.

It all turns into a grind if you do it long enough. I have had alot of jobs. I have enjoyed aspects of most of them and found all of them rewarding in one or several aspects. They varied from service to the trades to corporate. They all at some point became a grind. Vacation for too long can become a grind. I am guessing just about everyone on a site like this has embraced the grind reaps the rewards.

Huh…that would mean he would work for the National Park Service. The USFS has no "park rangers." Fact. The USFS does have wilderness rangers…perhaps that's what he meant. The USFS doesn't manage "park" land so no position descriptions carry that word in the agency.

Why do you care I'm trying to tell a story and I'm telling you what the guy posted on his Facebook page years ago.

You appear to be one of those guys who absolutely has to be right all the time.

The guy who up barely knew who claims he was a park ranger for the US force service apparently that is a real position with the US forest service.

Here's a link US Forest Service website career section for park ranger.