Cooper rifles

Boman

How do you guys like these rifles? They seem like a decent rifle. I'm specifically looking at the Model 52 Jackson Hunter. The composite stocked version. This is the long action big game rifle. They seem to have great features and a half moa guarantee. I don't hear much about these rifles. What's your take? Thank you

I love mine! It definitely shoots much better than I do. I have a Model 56 in 300WM with the wood version of the Jackson Game stock. I can load right to the lands with the Berger 215gn bullets--nice long magazine.

I think you'll find that most(if not all) Cooper owners, are very happy with them.
They aren't perfect; The triggers are nothing special, and their barrels are often too slow in twist(watch for that). But in every other respect they're great.

Interesting. Looking at comments around the net I see the same kind of comments. Shoot great. But not great. Can you tell me more about the trigger? I think its adjustable? Slow barrels could be a big problem. Any insight is great. I've never even seen one

I'm a custom gun person and like triggers in the $250-$450 range,, all well under 16oz pull, and safe.
The worst trigger I can live with is Jewell, so consider this with my input here.

Beyond bullet and barrel, rest and recoil control, the trigger is vital to results.
Well, the triggers with Coopers are similar to those that plagued Savage rifles for decades. And few would consider a Savage today, even though they always shot well, if not for their change to AccuTrigger, which led to more shooters working with Savage, which led to more aftermarket(including triggers).
Cooper seems in a ditch in this area, and apparently it's not in their business plan to change it.
Maybe they're better off with happy hunters, than nit-picky custom gun comparators?

Shooters who would let go of the money to buy a Cooper, would also do so for a good scope, and the gun will shoot good, that's the given with Cooper. You're not rolling the dice here, but you put ~$4k in it today, and you'll be on a quest to ring the most out of it (You'll catch the bug).
You'll go better rests, better reloading components, and you'll always be concerned about that trigger. That *** trigger...

I addressed the trigger on mine with addition of an 'E-Z Pull Trigger Assist'. It sounds cheesy, I can't believe I even considered it, but for my M21 at factory setting, it somehow works well enough.
I can go from Anschutz to Bix & Andy to Jewell to trigger assisted Cooper -without offense. My son likes it also, and he's brutally picky.
It's cheap, you might try it.

I didn't say their barrels are slow. They are usually offered slow in TWIST.
This forces use of lighter or flat base bullets, which will shoot better than heavy for cal bullets, especially given the short barrels provided. This is the trick to Coopers shooting so well, but it's not really a 'trick'. Just keep it in mind. And that group on the card hanging off the trigger guard, that's not a 100yd group.. That IS a trick.. But relax, Coopers really do shoot great.

Mikecr,

Thank you for that detailed reply. I guess I have a ton to learn about triggers. I thought jewell was the pinnacle... what you said concerns me as I've shot the old savages and those triggers were junk at best. The rifle I'm looking at retails for 2k and with the half min guarantee it might be nice. I guess I need to do more research. Thank you

I have a cooper excalibur in 6.5x284 and really like it. Had a problem with the magazine ejecting which cooper fixed at no charge. If I had a problem with them it would be the safety it feels more like a switch than a safety very quiet when hunting though. The triggers are as good as any I've used. I can't see any problem there. The rifle is built very well the action is bedded in the stock very tightly you almost have to pry it apart to clean it.

All in all they are of real good quality and shoot very well.

Shoot straight

Jewells are quality triggers. Great for BR actions and free recoil shooting.
But I don't like them for hunting.
I like that they can be safely adjusted for very light pull, but they have practically zero travel.
This leads to a jabbing trigger pull(no follow through) and temptation for swing shots (bad habits).

I didn't realize this for a while, until I messed with a Tubb2000 with it's Anschutz 2-stage trigger. With this adjusted to lightest pull(~5-6oz), I had a very relaxing pull distance that nicely collapsed into fire, ensuring follow through. The precision in this improved my shooting and made it difficult to go back to jewell for anything but free recoil bag gun shooting. For hunting, I wanted 2-stage from then on.

I installed a Bix & Andy on a BAT action recently and it gives me ~2-4oz with good travel. According to my son, it's not as good as 2-stage,, but better than Jewell. He's like a friggin gun whisperer and shoots better than me, so I'm gonna try it soon in a new hunting gun.
That trigger assist I mentioned is '2-stage-like' in that it also collapses into fire with a smooth/light pull.

Thank you Scottishcat,

Do you know what your rifle weighs? Does the safety function correctly? Does it block the pin/sear? How long have you had it? Thanks for your input

Mikecr,
I haven't had the pleasure of using those triggers but I've also never had problems with a jewel either. I know I have a lot to learn

I have Coopers and love 'em.
If the OP walks away from this thread thinking Cooper triggers are as bad as early Savages', then he really has a lot to learn....

Lewwetzel,

I'm the OP. Where did you get that I think Cooper triggers were like early savages? Mikecr used old savages as an example. .. if I knew what their triggers are like I wouldn't be asking would I? I'm the one asking questions because I want to know. I've said I have a lot to learn regarding triggers. If you care to expound and add to this thread great. If not you can stop commenting

I bought a Cooper M21 in 6mmBR several years ago. Beautiful wood. It has an 8 twist barrel and 16 oz trigger. The trigger has a lot of creep. My smith could not get it lower and remain safe. To my amazement, I found the chamber diameter to be .270, just a tad too tight. So I need to skim the necks. But when loaded with the 105 Hornady V Max and 29.6 gr. Varget, it shoots dots.

PS - The operator's manual warns about adjusting the trigger except by a gunsmith.

Thank you Gene. That's very helpful. I have my reservations when I hear stuff like this. I need to get my hands on one and see for myself. Thanks again

Gene, I found the same with my M21.
Believe me, I tried every combination of adjustment, and I found that the original factory setting was the only field safe setting.

I should not have implied earlier that Cooper triggers were fully as bad as earlier Savage triggers. I mean't to imply that Cooper popularity is affected by the same limitation (less than ideal trigger). Hows that?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.