construction of wildcat bullets

labrador

Hello

Could anyone tell me something about the construction of wildcat Bonded Core FBHP bullets. Is it pretty much like the accubonds or swift scirocco? Or is it a partition construction?

Thanks for the info - Labrador

Labrador,

It is different then all the bullets you list. The Accubond and Sciroccos have a very thick jacket, especially at the base of the bullet.

The Scirocco has an extremely heavy jacket. IF your bore is dimensioned correctly for this bullet they shoot very well, if it is a bit to tight or to loose, you can have accuracy problems.

The Accubond is similiar except the jacket is not quite as heavy and is made from guilding metal instead of soft copper. This offers less bore fouling. Still with an oversized bore, you can still have accuracy problems with the Accubond.

THe Wildcat BCFBHPs are built on a relatively conventional cup jacket such is seen on bullets like those from Sierra, Hornady and such. Only difference is that you have the option for much heavier jackets then these if you want. Generally a 0.030" thick jacket is all we would ever need in North America even with the big magnum rounds.

The advantage of this is that these bullets will bump up or swage down easier to match your bore then the other bullets you list. This generally translated to much more consistant accuracy from one rifle to another.

In a tight bore they shoot EXTREMELY tight groups. In a looser bore they tend to need to be driven to pretty high pressures but at top loads they shoot extremely well also.

This is the best feature of these bullets besides their bonded core on game performance, they are generally very consistant and accurate over a wide range of bore diameters.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Kirby,
While we're on the wildcat bullets discussion, do you have any estimated BC numbers for some of Richards .277 bullets (130, 140, & 150 J-4 jacket and Bonded hunting bullets).

NOTE: I'm not trying to bring up another BC arguement about Richards bullets. I don't have the means to accurately test BC's.

Thanks,
Dana

270 WSM,

I am sorry to report that I have only tested one bullet in the 270 Wildcat line and that is the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT. I flat fell in love with that bullet and looked no farther in the big Allen Magnum.

With that bullet the bullet drop figures are saying a BC in the .730 range but remember this is only from bullet drop testing out to 1200 yards or so.

I have not performed velocity testing at a range that would provide an accurate BC value so I use the drop test method.

Sorry on this one.

Kirby Allen(50)

No problem Fifty, I was just wondering how Richards bullets would compare in BC to other bullet manufacturers with similar bullet weights. I love the idea of the 169.5grn bullets, but would like more horsepower to toss them with. Maybe you'll have to build me an AM in the near future.

I was curious as to what the estimated bc of the .257" 125g?? I just shot a 3.5" 4 shot group at 525 yards with my 25-06 and the 110g Accubond. I am just trying to find the most accurate load is all. Also was wondering if the 125g would stabilize in my barrel?

25-06, What twist do you have? Kirby built me a 25-284 with a 1:10" twist and it shoots them into a half inch group at 200 yards. I am going to shoot at 400 here real soon. Unfortunately I will be archery elkhunting for the next two weeks so I won't have anything to report.

I am not positive as to what twist it has, but its a winchester model 70 so I am assuming it is the standard 1 in 10. For some reason Im thinking I need a slower twist because 120g is usually the highest weight to go for .257" I think I would like to try some of those bullets if there that accurate. That 110g Accubond load I have worked up for my 25-06 is the most accurate load I have found so far for 525 yards. Up and out to 200 yards though, the 117g SBT shoots better, but not at LR. Would anyone be willing to part with just a few of the 125g wildcats? I would like to try a coupld loads with H-4831 and H-1000 is all.

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering how Richards bullets would compare in BC to other bullet manufacturers with similar bullet weights.

[/ QUOTE ]

270WSM
Don't shot the 277 cal WCs but shoot the 252gr 338s. Would "guestimate" that the BC is a bit less than the 250 SMK and maybe similar to the 250 game king. I never calcuate BC as I use drops at ranges and excel spread sheet to develop drop equation and resulting drop chart. i.e, whatcha see is whatcha get.

Also, let me say that it is the first bullet that I will shoot through the chrono at 200 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Also, Richard, they quit squeekin' once I got the postage figured out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Like the 169.5 gr 277 WCsI think that when someone gets something that will push the 300-350gr 338s you'll have something special for ULR.

But for a hunting bullet the J3 jacket in ULD design sure looks much better than anything I've been shooting in the 270 or 338. We'll see, I have the buckskin all staked out at about 550yds just waiting.

FWIW

"Like the 169.5 gr 277 WCsI think that when someone gets something that will push the 300-350gr 338s you'll have something special for ULR."

Its here my friend, 3500fps with the 300s and 3300 with the 350s!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, thats what we are predicting anyway!!

Don;t think I can shoe horn her into a Rem 700 receiver though!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Don;t think I can shoe horn her into a Rem 700 receiver though!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

If not 700 then what?

Question are all AR-30 (under 50 cal) bolts the same diameter? Just thunking, before I get your answer to the above.

Roy,

Don't know on the AR-30 rifles if they are all the same or not. I would bet the 338 Lapua is larger but can not tell you for sure.

You will need a receiver that will eat the 408 Chey Tac case my friend. BAT offers several ranging in size from that about eqaul to a Rem 700 up to the monster 10" long receivers. I think they have 4 or 5 offerings in different sizes.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.