considering ammo license

comfisherman

I was considering applying for a ammo manufacturers license as an excuse to write off some nice reloading equipment. I am looking for some ideas on what all I need on the legal side of things.
So far I have compiled this much:

-BATF ammo license
-federal excise tax of 11%
-Some kind of insurance (need some kind of direction on this)
-business license

My questions are, would it be worthwhile to make a waiver for perspective buyers? If so what should I include? Is there anything else I am missing to be legal. My goals will be to load for just some odd calibers to be sold at a couple local gun shows. I.e. 500 smith plinking rounds, 223 wssm bulk packs, 375 h&h practice rounds for some guide friends of mine.

This all may be a wash if the ammo microprinting law passes, I wouldn't bother if it goes through.

-comfisherman

ammo accountability law/micro printing law, it failed under our current admin, but who knows what the future holds. I cant find the link to the info on it, but ill keep looking.

I think the idea was that it would be a way to hold ammo companies liable for the use/mis-use of their product. Makes about as much sense as pushing for a law keeping baseball bat mfg companies liable for broken windows, but hey anything is possible these days.

I guess we are now free in America from our own actions, its everybody elses fault.

-comfisherman

I think if you search on the NRA website, you might find it.

Basically (if I got it right) it means that the manufacturers (of bullets and brass) have to somehow mark the inside of the brass case, plastic shotgun hull, & the bottom of each bullet with a number that can be read after its' fired. Each box of ammo will be numbered as well, and each box will have to be registered after it is purchased. We will have a couple of years (until 2011 I think) to use up all the ammo that is NOT marked. After 2011 it will be illegal to own unmarked ammo. (if the law gets passed)

Is that about the layman's view of it?

It'll be interesting to see how they propose to label each shot pellet in a shotgun shell!

I think if you search on the NRA website, you might find it.

Basically (if I got it right) it means that the manufacturers (of bullets and brass) have to somehow mark the inside of the brass case, plastic shotgun hull, & the bottom of each bullet with a number that can be read after its' fired. Each box of ammo will be numbered as well, and each box will have to be registered after it is purchased. We will have a couple of years (until 2011 I think) to use up all the ammo that is NOT marked. After 2011 it will be illegal to own unmarked ammo. (if the law gets passed)

Is that about the layman's view of it?

It'll be interesting to see how they propose to label each shot pellet in a shotgun shell!

Lead bullets and slugs should also be interesting. Lead has a tendency to distort beyond recognition. Also thinking round balls for black powder. Dunno how far they plan to go with it, but how will it work out for reloading? Have to keep a log of the serial # for each bullet and the serial # for each case you load and then register everyone of them?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.