confused!

huntx0822

ok, so i was shooting the other night and took my stock off to check the trigger on my savage, when i put it back on the guy i was shooting with said we should check to see if the zero held. he said that once you pull the stock off the zero changed, im not buying it. it doesnt make since to me. so it did shoot different however my scope had came loose by then. so what gives will it stay the same or change when the stock is removed? i like to pull the stock to clean and oil the bottom of barrel and the trigger.

Yes the point of impact will change a little each time you mess with the stock/action relationship. Think about barrel harmonics, the barrel is like a tuning fork that is held in a vice. Each time you shift the fork in the vice and relock it, it will produce a different pitch. When people hand load, we are striving for consistancy to make sure that each shot creates the same velocity, and vibration so the bullet leaves the barrel at the same vibration each time. This is not the most scientific explination, but I hope it clears things up a bit

What britz says is true. That's another good reason to glass bed a rifle stock. That'd be like putting the fork on the vise exaclty the same way every time allowing for a minimun variation on the harmonics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

in my defense i called b.s. on the #2 method of attaching #1 being loctite and i did the i told you so dance when it all came loose. its loctited now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.