Concentricity Question

Ray Fryar

Hello all, just finished checking the concentricity of some loads and found a couple out of 50 or so that did not meet my specs, this got me to thinking what do other people do when they find this situation. So here is the question what do you do when you find some of your loads do not meet your concentricity specifications. Do you fix them and how? do you dissasemble them and start over or something else. Thanks in advance for any and all comments on the subject. :)

My hunting/target loads are less than .001" out. If any are higher than that I either use them for fliers or I simply move the bullet out with a puller and reseat it.

My hunting/target loads are less than .001" out. If any are higher than that I either use them for fliers or I simply move the bullet out with a puller and reseat it.

Less than .001? Really?

What dies and loading procedure do you follow? I want some of that!

I use Forster benchrest dies and Redding bushing dies. .002 neck tension and when seating the bullet I rotate the case 90 degrees several times while seating. I have pretty tight chambers and also turn the high side of my necks.

I mark the primer with a red sharpie and use them for sighters or plinkers. I don't try to straighten them.

I've switched most of my dies to a forster benchrest seater, redding body and lee collet neck sizing die setup. That combined with a skim cut with a neck turner makes it rare for me to have a round with more than .001" runout.

I mark the primer with a red sharpie and use them for sighters or plinkers. I don't try to straighten them.

I've switched most of my dies to a forster benchrest seater, redding body and lee collet neck sizing die setup. That combined with a skim cut with a neck turner makes it rare for me to have a round with more than .001" runout.

That is the method that I use as well and it has reduced my runouts greatly. Although I use Forester and Redding comp seaters. They both seem to have similar results. I try and keep stuff under .003 for hunting and load development, but .001 or less is very common. Put it this way, I generally have a hard time coming up with enough foulers...

Also, I mark the high side and place it at 12 o'clock in the chamber, so at least the runout starts in the same place every shot. Don't know if that makes any difference or not, but that is what I do...

I take it that is with a non-bolt single shot action (like a falling block). Couldn't do anything like that otherwise.

Many are Encores, so yes. I should have said for my 700's they are marked at 9 o'clock to account for the 90 deg turn and they extract in the same alignment that they were placed.

I take it that is with a non-bolt single shot action (like a falling block). Couldn't do anything like that otherwise.

German Salazar wrote a article on bullet indexing at his "Riflemans Journal" website and he was using a bolt action 30-06.

My dad being an engineer was obsessed with runout, I mean any runout, but we finally came to a truce when we couldn't show any difference on paper targets on anything 0.003" and below. That was several decades ago and I really haven't addressed it since then. I think the wind gives me more issues.

German Salazar wrote a article on bullet indexing at his "Riflemans Journal" website and he was using a bolt action 30-06.
I'm sure it was imagined with motivation because it's impossible to maintain straight 30-06 ammo.
But if it gives you hope, go ahead and believe a 'competitor' -who chooses 30-06....

I'm sure it was imagined with motivation because it's impossible to maintain straight 30-06 ammo.
But if it gives you hope, go ahead and believe a 'competitor' -who chooses 30-06....

Eliseo RT10 30-06 Long Range Rifle
by German A. Salazar

Eliseo RT10 30-06 Long Range Rifle

rt10load01.jpg

"The Rifleman's Journal, Cartridges: .30-06 Update"

Below index marks on 30-06 case. :rolleyes:

IMG_0107.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.