Compass heading for Coriolis in iPhone inconsistent

Timber338

Curious of anybody else has experience using the compass in their iPhone and/or using the Shooter app to obtain degrees of azimuth/heading for coriolis?

My iPhone is giving different compass headings every time I close the compass app or the Shooter app and start it up again.

I've toggled the "true north" setting on/off and done some stuff in the location services settings with compass calibration turned on/off. Nothing I do will make any of my compass apps or the Shooter app give me consistent readings.

At this point I'll just use my real compass and the appropriate declination to get my true azimuth when I'm out hunting/shooting, just curious if anybody out there has worked through this?

Check out the Theodolite app. It's been dead reliable all over NA and gives everything coordinatea, azimuth, angle, and more , including a picture if desired with all data that can be sent to photos for future reference.
I have had issues with the compass in my iPhone but have found much better apps.

Check out the Theodolite app. It's been dead reliable all over NA and gives everything coordinatea, azimuth, angle, and more , including a picture if desired with all data that can be sent to photos for future reference.
I have had issues with the compass in my iPhone but have found much better apps.

Thanks, it looks like they offer a bundle of apps together. They look pretty cool!

I understand that it's frustrating and that the compass is useless for navigation but does it make a difference in terms of getting he right shooting data? I did s quick test for 43deg latitude, shooting east and north. I varied the azimuth by 10deg in 5 deg increments and the solution only changed by fractions of an inch at 1000 yds.

I understand that it's frustrating and that the compass is useless for navigation but does it make a difference in terms of getting he right shooting data? I did s quick test for 43deg latitude, shooting east and north. I varied the azimuth by 10deg in 5 deg increments and the solution only changed by fractions of an inch at 1000 yds.

You are certainly right that +|- 10* doesn't add up to much of a real world difference. I was more curious if anybody else had delt with this, and it just seems like the iPhone compass sensor is just not accurate. It's pretty unlikely I'll he shooting out to 1000 yards anyways I just like to have everything as perfect as possible!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.