Comparing

.270 Win - introduced in 1925 and still going strong. If shooting to 500 yards or less, it is a wonderful choice as affordable ammo is available everywhere and it is a proven commodity with reloading supplies readily found, too.

6.5 PRC - the new, "cool kid" on the block. Can shoot super high BC bullets a long way, so if you want to try your luck past 500 yards, this could be the cartridge for you! No man-bun required, which is nice. Reloaders get "clickers" after third or fourth firing. Chamber can be modified to resolve this issue. Brass and ammo availability limited. Will it be around 98 years from now? Who knows, but you won't be, so who cares?

Are you a guy that likes tried & true or shiny & new? They kill the same & no animal will know the difference. So, pick your poison & enjoy whatever it is.

We have, a .270 WSM Tikka and a 6.5 PRC Savage, UltraLite / Proof, barreled, in our Family as, we Hunt Elk, too ( Both shoot, Great ! ),..
But for Whitetails, I'd look hard at, a 7mm-08 for, more than, TWICE the Barrel Life and, it's, "Plenty" to 500 yds or, so with, good, high BC, 140 - 160 grain bullets, my 2 cents ! The 150 gr. Eld-X was, a good "Shooter" in my son's 7mm-08 Tikka. He even dropped, an Elk with, the ELD-X bullet.
And StaBall 65 or, RL-17, "Moves" them along,.. good !
The ole' .270 Win., is still, getting it done, too ! So NO, "Bad choices" amongst these, 4 Cartridges

Last edited: