Comparing the other Centenarian

fiftybmg

Here are some numbers for the sake of comparison.

Comparing the .375 H&H to the .375 RUM.

The 375 H&H is well know, but few shooters know that with modern monolithics and powders, you can produce .308 trajectory from your 375 H&H out to 1000 yards.

A 245 grain Frontier Range Master, with a BC of 0.4 runs at a comfortable 2800 fps with IMR powder. I say comfortable, because it's comfortable to shoot from the bench and easy on the brass. My rifle is a 1946 model 70 heavy profile barrel, and was fitted to a fiberglass stock on the GRS pattern. I didn't weigh it with the scope, but it wasn't light. I mention this because recoil is mitigated by weight and stock design. A pencil barrel and large drop at comb won't be pleasant in this caliber.

By my calculation, this gives me 38 moa drop at 1000 yards with a 200 yard zero. I took this out to 600 meters on steel, and subsequent testing showed that the rail was not playing nice on this receiver - a pre-war type 1. So I took the rail off, put the original wood back, and will use it with heavy bullets and open sights from now on.

These are respectable long-range capable numbers for an old cartridge designed to kill dangerous game at short range.

I opted for a 375 RUM to replace it as a long range boomer, which is being built for me.

What is interesting is that with the same bullet in a 375 RUM, factory powder data shows I can expect 3100 fps from a 24" barrel, and with a 30" barrel it is reasonable to expect at least 3200 fps. With 3100 fps, the drop chart says 27 moa at 1000 yards with a 200 yard zero.

Comparing the two, the load data shows a 20 grains difference in powder using the same 245 grain bullet, but producing up to 400 fps velocity difference depending on barrel length.

The 375 H&H dates from 1912, and the 375 RUM from 2000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.