comparing the giants

so I ran some numbers on the 338 lapua with the Rocky Mountain bullets 300gr bullet, it has an effective range at 6,000 ft and 2800fps of around 2200 yards. That is assuming these bullets correctly advertised BC (.979) sounds pretty high, but you never know.

match bullets aren't designed to expand like hunting bullets they are designed for shooting match. If you want to shoot elk with SMKs feel free, I like bullets that were intended for killing animals not paper.

here is Sierras response to this ridiculous idea.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/techservice/xring/pdfarchive/vol4no3.pdf

next I'm going to hear someone shoots elk with field points because the shoot better then broad heads.

Just because a bullets' original/primary design was for accuracy (shooting match) and not for 'expanding', doesn't mean that it doesn't expand and work well as a hunting bullet. Look it up, the topic has been beaten to death and well documented. As far as Sierras 'response' to the "ridiculous" idea:

1) Berger recommended against using the EXACT SAME bullets that are now known and recommended as hunting bullets for decades. The bullet didn't change, the good results on game didn't change, just their opinion changed.
2) Marketing the SMK as a good hunting bullet could lead to legal issues for their largest single customer. Apparently not worth the risk to them.

Fact is I've had more bullet failures with 'hunting' bullets than with 'match' bullets. Actually, I've had zero bullet failures with match bullets.

like i said if you want to shoot animals with bullets that the manufacture says not to feel free, I won't. I have had bad luck trying that and I won't do it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.