compact rifles

This fall I made up a load for my wife's Ruger 308 Compact with 125 gr Nosler BT. . Last night we thot something was in the yard and the rifle I grabbed on purpose was her rifle. For several reasons. The scope on my 6.5 is a fixed 10× . Her's is a3-9 and the Compact is light and fast. I may have a 6.5 Compact/ Scout made before I get another lr rig.
Jeff Cooper had that part well figured out.

I have the same idea, it will perform under most conditions for me.Can't hear anyways so muzzle blast shouldn't be an issue.Hell ,its nearly a sidearm.Quick to point.Take care

Muzzle blast isn't an issue with me. Too many decades shooting my muzzle broke 458 Win Mag. These little cart rifles are like useful toys in comparison. Course where we now live there ain't no brown bear. So I don't necessarily need a stopping rifle when I go out to see what's out there. . I'm considering putting a 1-4×24 Viper PST on my Creedmoor. I prefer the illuminate reticle better than the SWFA 1-4. And they are less $$$. I like the center dot. The biggest problem I see with the PST is its 2nd fp. But. With a 1-4× scope I don't think it will be a problem. I could be wrong but if so I can always peddle it.

I spent a long time with a 1-4×20 Vx ll on my rifles and seldom did I need more magnification. But, the 1× was used very often. I did find that I needed 4x to see spike antlers on a deer reliably.
I hope no one thinks I'm abandoning long range rifles and optics. I'm as or more interested as ever . Its just I don't have lots of wide open country to hunt and shoot in at this time.

I have an Kimber Model 84 in .308. Very light, compact and easy to carry. Beautiful figured walnut stock. I don't know if they have a composite stock in that model.

I think a mountain hunting rifle is like my truck or a horse.The beautiful stays home because otherwise its a hinderance.Something basic, easy to manage and very familar , in all departments works for me.I like low power capability in a rifle scope too.Also I don't feel hindered by a smaller caliber these days, with bullet choice in many cases its like stepping up a caliber .Kinda like going from a horse to a mule.Cheers

I have a ruger m77 mkII in compact in .223 Rem that my boys use for deer hunting because it fits them much better than my full sized guns. I like it myself also but length of throw is a bit short for me. Here is a photo of my 10 year old's deer this year with that gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 40
I'm in the same boat, I am trying to get the Steyr Scout I want imported now but in the meantime I'm eyeballing the Thompson Center Venture predator snow camo in 7mm-08. Right now there's a 75.00 rebate on them making it a 450 dollar gun if you shop around. People testing these rifles have made some crazy small groups too. 308's are available in the venture also.

Who as tried the Steyr product, and is worth the cost?

I have a few. Usually 1/2" rifles out of the box. I love my Prohunters, the best thought out rifle to date IMO. Not that expensive if you wait for sales. Only drawbacks are the weight and the finish wears quickly from the blues guns. I prefer the earlier SBS Prohunter to the newer ones too personally. If you get serious and have more questions shoot me a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.