Compact Bino advice

winmagman

I need a little help choosing a respectable pair of compact binoculars preferably 10X. Ideally I'd buy Zeiss, Swaro or some other top maker, however it's just not in the budget right now, so I'd like to keep the price under $275 maybe $300.

I did a little shopping at Midway and came up with 3 preliminary choices,
(1) Brunton Eterna 10x25 @ $220
(2) Burris Signature Semi-Compact 10x32 @ $255
(3) Steiner Predator 10x26 @ $160
All I've ever used for binoculars were Bushnell or Tasco and since buying a couple of Zeiss scopes I realize I need to upgrade. So if anybody has any info or experience with these, or can recommend another option, feel free to reply.
Thanks in advance
Chris

I bought a pair of steiner predator 8x22 for the wife 2 years ago. She used them for deer hunting last year and got them out this year and they were messed up. Like the tubes werent lined up. Gave me a head ache. So I sent them in for repair, they call and tell me they cant fix them in the states but for $60 they will send a refurbished pair. Fine I say (didnt send in the warrenty card). So for $210 I have an ok pair of binos. Not great binos. I wouldnt buy them again.

After that I went looking for another pair for me. Looked thru a lot of them. Ended up with pentax dcf-sp 10x43 for $440. After I ordered them I found some for $409 online. Super clear and bright. Early morning or when its getting dark in the evening they are great. Best money Ive spent on optics so far. I carry them with a cabelas bino harness, dont even know they are there and always handy.

If I did it again I would try the 8x, the 10s get a little wobbly when you get tired or excited.

If space is really limited, compacts may work, but I havent found any that do.

After looking thru many Bino's I chose the Pentax 8x36 DCF HS. They are phase coated, light, crisp and bright as any out there, and you can get them for $250. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been using Pentax DCF's 8x42's for ten year and have a pair of 8x30 Ziess. I only use the Ziess on hard hiking days when oz's count.

Winmagman, You might look at the Leupold Katmai line. 10X32 or 8X32 in the mid $300 range. I've seen them and they look good. All the reviews out about them are positive. Also, highly rated by John Barnsness is the Bushnell Legend series. A 8X32 model is around $300 and still not too heavy. Just a thought.

I know you said COMPACT binos, but I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42's and they are so clear and bright in low light I'm just plum tickled with them. Was out last night on the first day of Penna deer season (rifle) and my buddy was astounded at how much better he could see with the nikons than his scope or his eyes at 5 minutes left. BTW, had to pass on two bucks that didn't meet the state's requirements (at least 4 tines on one side).

I'd look at the Nikons for the price. Get to a Cabelas or somewhere else and compare them outside at dusk with a couple other brands. I'm confident I got a terrific deal from theoticszone.com on the Nikons.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll save my pennies a while longer and go with the Zeiss 10x25 compacts. I really like their scopes and suspect I won't be disappointed with their Binos.

Winmagman, Check out the different Zeiss binocs. In a 10X25, you will only have a 2.5 exit pupil so they will appear very dark in the evening. Everyone recommends at least a 4 if possible. In a 10X binocular, a 40 or 42 is recommended. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jon,

Thanks for the correction. How's things in Michigan? Hear it's going to be a cold one this year. Combine that with the warm lake water and I bet you guys are getting a little lake effects snow huh? Anyhow, have a good one.

I had 800 or so saved up for a good pair two years ago. I looked and looked and asked about the same things your asking. Then a Gander Mtn store opened up close by and I went out and looked through all of the top ones I had been looking through. After doing so, I ended up picking up two pair of Nikon Monarch's in 8x42 & 10x42, in hardwoods camo for less than one pair of the other were. To my eyes they were the clearest and sharpest that they had on hand. They were also completely waterproof as well, where some of the others were only water resistant. I gave a pair to my daughter and kept me a pair.

My suggestion is to go try out as many as you can, and take them outside if possible as it dies make a difference. Try to go in the evenings when there will be shadows and it will be darker as this will really let you know which one does what.

Hope you get you a great pair.

YOu might wanna check out the Nikon Monarch series, I compared them with a set of the new leupolds and the nikon won out in clarity and color.

I think they run around 225-250, so not overly expensive.

i am very happy with my pair. I would have liked to have got a pair of swaro's but you know i cant crap money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good luck
steve

I would not go with those zeiss 10 x 25.. I´ve had a chance to use them in the field and compare with a swaro 8 x 30 and nikon monarch 10 x 42, and others ( swaro slc 10 x 42, zeiss victory..).

The small size of the zeiss is attractive but they are hard to use, do not work well at night or dusk and besides they are so smal you´ll easily lose them ¡¡

I´d suggest you go with the 8 x 30 range, they are great in all conditions and not as heavy as a bigger 8 or 10 x 42.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.