Color Case Hardening Question

tred1956

I have acquired a Flatside Contender frame and am considering having it color case hardened. My first thought was Turnbull but they no longer do original Contenders only G-2 and Encores. What I would like to ask is does anyone have personal experience with any other smiths that color case harden? All recommendations or opinions appreciated.

For info Marty at Haus of Arms (who handles Turnbulls TC firearms) says that the reason Turnbull no longer does Original Contenders is that it warps the frame about 50% of the time. While I trust Marty & Turnbull, I have wanted a flatside Contender CCH for a LOOOONG Time LOL

Some smiths advertise lower temperature Color Case Hardening. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What do you all think?

Thanks for reading
Doug

There are ways to do it cold with chemical applications. I have no experience with it, nor do I know about how durable the finish is.
You might take a look online and search it up.
Case hardening is done at high temp for sure, which is actually carburizing the metal surface. If the part has stress in it, it will cause movement during that process.

This fella did a couple levers for me and they were nice. Not sure what method he uses, but you might want to give him a shout. Nice guy and he went out of his way to help me.