collared coyote

We hit a coyote in ND about 3 years ago, the bullet just slit his belly skin, never dumped his guts. Left a drop of blood in the 3" of snow about every 10 feet.
We drove around the section and found his track and let Skip my 3 yr old Jack out on the track. He wind tracked that coyotes trail over a mile and a half. (we followed him in the truck)
We hit a hill over a 160 acre crp, and spotted the yote in the middle, I took one shot and the coyote went down. (appearently heard the sonic crack of the shot and dropped to hide) We drove down to get him and no dice.
after 5 minutes of looking I ask Red if he sees Skip. Dam now I think I lost my dog in the jungle of grass.

A couple minutes later out comes this yote, out of a cattail slough on the end of the crp with Skip running 40 yards behind him. We didn't miss that time, but it was quite a barage.

If you ever want the best little hunting buddy ever get a Jack Russel.

If fish and game doesn't know anything , check with some of the universities .
On the last outfit I worked on , a kid was doing research with wildlife services and the wolf program for his degree.
In two years I think he only collard three coyotes , two of them the other camp cowboy trapped for him .

Wouldn't it suck if some college recruit tagged a yote thinking it was a wolf.
You do the right thing and tell them you recovered there collar, and now their saying "what did you do with the wolf that was wearing it"

In this day and age I could see it happening.

my also love to go fishing out on the jet boat

Attachments

• DSCN1248.JPG
    DSCN1248.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 87
Do they swim??
My Skip hated the water if it was deeper than 2"
He would freak out in a boat

First, The collar is a GPS tracking collar like the ones we use on bears here in the NC. Who ever is doing the study will want the collar and the data inside.
That collar cost about $2000.00 and is reusable with new batteries and clean harddrive. There should be a metal tag identifing a contact person. Your State and Federal wildlife agencies work inconjunction with Universities conducting studies. Their biologist should be able to direct you to whos collar you have collected. Hope it is not a Red Wolf that has wondered over from Washington State. If it is and they try to charge you with shooting an endangered species the "Red wolf" is not and endangered species it is clasified as an experimental species. We have had several shot here in NC thinking they are coyotes. The collar should have a pinger so it can be located and retrieved. If it is left where the signal can be received you may have a visitor looking for it.
Good shooting, nice rifle, have a great day.
Nat Lambeth

hi nat.

i have shot other wild game that had a collar before. im telling you guys this thing has no repeat no ID or tag or marks or anything at all. it is very weird to me as i have always returned collars before but this thing is just from a black hole lol.
it has been hanging on a deer mount in my office for a while now and still nobody has tracked it down. i gone over this thing with a fine tooth comb and there is no marking to show who owns it and would like it back. also in the past when i shot a lion with a collar it also had 2 ear tags [ 1 in each ear ]

i rent a house to the collage for a few guys to live in while they are doing a study on snowshoe hares . i asked the guy if the have ever see a collar like this and they all said no way. even the little collars that they put on the hares have id marks and #'s
for returning to them.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 79
WI uses similar collars but they have no external antena, It may be a wire in the band that circles around the animals neck.

And the ones used here are NOT gps, they use way to much battery power thus last for only a short time period.

The thype used hear send out one ping every couple minutes and the researchers either drive or fly where the animal was last located and wait for there reciever to "hear" the ping. This is done once a week until they see an extended period of the same location. then they go in and look for a lost collar or dead animal. Battery life in these collars is typically 2 years and they give off no "death " signal.

If you have the collar some distance away from where the coyote was killed then it is likly they will never find it, If your close to the animals home range, they will likly find it or the battery is dead. either way it was a coyote so no big deal.

I remember hearing a story about a coyote near the town of Cedar City, UT several years ago that was shot wearing a collar. It was right on the edge of town and some gal found a den of pups and put dog collars on them and let them run around. They later dispersed and they still had the collars on. I guess a few of them were shot later on that year. Pretty funny what some people will do.

xdeano

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.