Cold feet??

I've used Mickey Mouse boots for years as you can't wear them out & have taken one off below 0 degrees while ice fishing, filled it with cold lake water, dumped them out & my feet were warm in less than 5 minutes. Best thing thhe military made!

An important part of keeping your feet and hands warm is keeping your core warm first. If you start losing heat in your hands and feet, your body restricts circulation to those parts. My hunting stands/area are typically up hill. I'm a big guy and generate a lot of heat going up. So I wear minimal clothes going there and carry warmer clothes to put on later. That way I'm not getting my insulated clothes wet with sweat.

My father-in-law came up with an interesting solution. He commandeered his wife's sewing machine and made himself a vest with a dozen or so small pockets on the front and back. We puts those HotHands hand warmers in the pockets and that helps keep his core warm.

An important part of keeping your feet and hands warm is keeping your core warm first. If you start losing heat in your hands and feet, your body restricts circulation to those parts. My hunting stands/area are typically up hill. I'm a big guy and generate a lot of heat going up. So I wear minimal clothes going there and carry warmer clothes to put on later. That way I'm not getting my insulated clothes wet with sweat.

My father-in-law came up with an interesting solution. He commandeered his wife's sewing machine and made himself a vest with a dozen or so small pockets on the front and back. We puts those HotHands hand warmers in the pockets and that helps keep his core warm.
Might want to check out the Milwaukee heated vests... I have a jacket and it's awesome on the sxs. A vest would be great for the stand

Here's my Recipe to stay warm in the stand all day.
Orange ski-mask type hat. and a spare dry one in the backpack, sometimes I have to wear both.
A dark colored dickie (remember those) my wife crocheted me a couple of those.
Two under armor long john type tops with matching bottoms. another pair of long john bottoms. Extra large jeans to go over all that with suspenders, a tight belt is not a good thing to set there all day with. A camo, scent hider xtra large shirt. The scent hiders seem to also block wind nicely.
One pair of thin nylon wicking socks and one pair of wigwam wool socks. Bib coveralls over all that. I wear a Wall's camo soft silent shell parka. Safety pin an orange crossing guard vest to the parka front and back. My 800gr thinsulate boots with two Hot Hands hand warmers in each. My backpack has two pairs of gloves in it. Military surplus jeep drivers glove inserts, then I keep a pair of thin camo archery gloves just in case my hands can take the cold on a given day. I sewed pockets around the waist on the inside of the bib overalls and stuff them with foot warmers or back warmers as needed. There is only one time that this set up did not allow me to stay in the stand. I had the flu that day so I'll take a mulligan there. Don't forget to practice shooting with all these clothes on. If you have a rubber butt plate you could have trouble getting the gun up to your shoulder quickly, unless you've been practicing with all those clothes on. Oh, no more recoil.

For the last 25 years my for some reason feet started sweating as soon as I put them in a shoe. Tried foot powder, corn starch , etc. Works for about an hour. I started wearing a nylon liner sock and good wool socks with high % wool. Found no difference with Merino wool. My feet stay dry longer but when finally do get wet from sweat they stay warmer because of wool. I do this even at work and everyday . When hunting I do same and wear a good insulated waterproof boot 400 to 1000 gram depending on weather/snow/wet, etc. I didn't read through all post but I'm sure this was mentioned before.

I don't know if this little gem has been mentioned, I used to do wildfowling, in winter, on the coast of the UK and this is my tip.
Get a good quality antiperspirant spray deodorant and spray on your feet and the backs of your knees before dressing.
This will stop these parts sweating. It's the sweat that causes your feet to feel the cold, it's what it's meant to do.
DO NOT EXPERIMENT IN SPRAYING THE ANTIPERSPIRANT OVER YOUR ENTIRE BODY sorry for shouting but you will immediately overheat after 100 yards of walking if you do this.
To keep your hands warm, break the ice on water puddles on your way out and rinse your hands in the water then shake dry. You probably won't need gloves but I recommend them to stop your finger freezing to the trigger in below freezing environments.
The cost of doing this is minimal try it once when your not hunting to prove it before committing yourself on a field trial.
I used to wear one pair of silk socks with neoprene fisherman's bootees over them and under my waders.

I have Reynaud's, hands and feet. Made some headway this year in cold feet (and hands) and hope you don't mind if I share (in no real order).

In general I have found that these help:
First, no cotton. Wicking poly/wool blends, I prefer poly (for whole body, esp feet), take extra if feet sweat.
Second, fitted but loose fitting socks and shoes. Good ($$) socks usually have good guarantee (IE: Cabelas Ultimate?).
Third, keep core warmer (pack in insulated coats/bibs, water/windproof stuff, put on when get to stand even if warm)
Fourth, HotHands Toasty Toes, replace as needed

This year I added a pair of Sorel Glacier XTs. https://www.cabelas.com/product/SOREL-MENS-GLACIER-XT-PAC-BOOT/1827097.uts?slotId=0 Rated to -100*f but I doubt that for me. I got one size up. Not a hiker but my feet stayed warm and I did ok traversing the hills. Was looking for MUCK Arctic Pro or whatever their warmest is but could not find hands on.

Hands, pretty much the same ideas, gave up on gloves all together. Tried electric ones but that was a joke. What I have added are Cabela's Stand Hunter Wool Mittens with liner gloves. Toss in a Hot Hands packet and I was good to go.https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-CANADIAN-STAND-HUNTER-II-GLOVE/2843473.uts
I will be adding a leash.

Last two weeks been hunting stands in 20-30*f weather.

I will buy the mittens (or similar) if I wear these out. Gortex would be preferred.

Boots I would buy again for easier hike in stands, might try to find MUCK Arctic Pro (??) or something else when covering longer/steeper hikes, stalks down the road.

I am not affiliated with Cabelas in any way, they just had what I needed. There may be other makers of similar items that work better and I would love to hear about them.

Last edited:
So can you tell me how to keep my feet warm while on stand? Tried the heated insoles and they were a waste of money..No idea how much I have spend on different socks and boots..Even those mickey mouse don't seem to help much.But then again being a diabetic makes a difference..Thanks for any advice..

New Member here but been lurking and learning for some time. Thought I could weigh in on this one. I have always had trouble keeping feet warm for extended time on a deer stand and as I get older, it is more of a problem. I had to have my core sweating hot to keep my feet warm. I went to 2000gm Inferno Frankenstein boots and found them bulky and still after some time in single digit temps, my feet got cold. I think one of the issues was walking to the stand with these likely cause my feet to sweat. I use ladder stands and don't want to be changing socks after I arrive. I do use the antiperspirant trick and it helps along with toe warmers.
This year after a lot of online research bought a IWOM XT suit. These are similar to the body heater suit but better for my use. A hunting sleeping bag of sorts that you can wear to the stand. I have used it several times and the last time it was 8 degrees. I wore my comfortable 600gm hunting boots with the chemical toe warmers and spent 4 hours in the stand. I left not because my feet were cold. Pretty pleased with the windproof, waterproof design with a built in handwarmer.

Sounds like all great ideas..It's my feet that get cold.The rest of my body is ok..I ice fish with no gloves. most of the time so that's not an issue..I tried those so called toe warmers as well..Another waste of money for me..Laugh if you want,but I was thinking about one of those soace blankets and wrap my feet in it,,Or are they noisey?? I can sit all day if not for my toes getting cold..I did read some where about cafine being an issue..??? Like when fishing the secret is keeping your hands dry..But my feet don't really seem to be sweaty..

Sounds like all great ideas..It's my feet that get cold.The rest of my body is ok..I ice fish with no gloves. most of the time so that's not an issue..I tried those so called toe warmers as well..Another waste of money for me..Laugh if you want,but I was thinking about one of those soace blankets and wrap my feet in it,,Or are they noisey?? I can sit all day if not for my toes getting cold..I did read some where about cafine being an issue..???

Maybe it was already mentioned but what about those IceBreaker Boot Blankets. They run about $50 and you would put them on when you reach your stand. They look toasty.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.