CO Elk Hunting and Loss of Freedom

I'm really happy to see that most of you feel the same way i do. This is harsh, but if you are to old or out of shape to get elk out then don't go elk hunting.

Where i hunt elk, the roads have been closed for 3 years, and far more elk stay on the public land. In the past, the orv pressure would push all of the elk to the private land. Hunter success has increased (especially for those willing to work for it) as a result of the closed roads.

...having hunted u55 a lot we've seen a lot of atv's also. And in other units too many to list here. Thing is I agree with restricting them somewhat, but they otto make some kind of sensible rule to allow atv use for game retrieval only even in so called wilderness areas.Most of the area we hunt are publick and not wilderness and still you are not supposed to retrieve with an atv.

I forsee a grim future for COlo DOW since they are now combined with Parks and Wreck Dept. The tag situation here in Colo is HORRID as 80% of the good tags go to non residents so the DOw gets the 594.oo instead of my 34.oo Very sad about all that.

Retirement looms for me here and we've already decided not to stay in COlo but to go back to PA to die. I worked 25 yrs to get a job in COlo so I could really do some big game hunting cheap and it hasnt happend. This place has, in the last ten years, become just another Kalifornia.

As far as the pics of the trout stream go, the atv's didnt ruin the crick as you say. They simply made a ford.

I forsee a grim future for COlo DOW since they are now combined with Parks and Wreck Dept. The tag situation here in Colo is HORRID as 80% of the good tags go to non residents

I'd like to know what units you are talking about. As far as I know the maximum % of tags for nonresidents was 40% and now is less than that.

I will like to offer a slightly different take and opinion.

I am a flatlander from Indiana who spends years building bonus/preference points in WY, UT, AZ, and NV. My last hunt in WY was turned from one of extream high expectations to one of frustration as my so called limited entry unit was over run with quads, that quickly turned the hunt from one of trying to out fox the elk to trying to out run a quad on foot, which as one can guess is simply not possable. Had a similar experience while elk hunting in NM, and that unit did restrict quads from going off the mane BLM roads, not that a single quad rider let that rule stop them from spooking not one but two bulls I had bugling by riding up on them because they heard them. I spoke to one of them who it turned out was not even a elk hunter. He was actually a deer hunter out preseason scouting, heard the elk bugling and wanted to see if he could spot the bull. I asked him as politely as I could did it not occur to him it was elk season and there just MIGHT be someone trying to hunt the elk he was 100% certain to spook? His reply was not satisfactory.

Having said that, I am not for banning quads for hunting, but I would like to see a stiff fine for any riders cought off the designated roads, and strictly forbid their use any where but a BLM or forest service road, AND STAY THE HE11 OUT OF THE FOREST!!! But I would imagine such rules ARE kind of a pipe dream as all F&G agencies are under funded they simply do not have the personell to inforce such a law to give it teeth.

I know this I will NEVER EVER again go out west hunting in a unit that allows quads and not have one. As much as it pains me to admit this, it comes down to either you have a quad or someone with one will beat you to the elk/deer.

...on the other hand I see in the book that just came that the seasons are a day or three longer and they have an early Sept high country rifle season. It's right in middle of the elitists archery season. Gosh that would be a great time to be above timberline on the Divide. Hmmm...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.