Cleaning Product/Procedures Routine Recommendations

17Fireball

Over the years I have done all kinds of cleaning methods. I'd like to hear from the benchrest experts out there your tips.

1. How many many rounds do you clean after when shooting?

2. Do you use a brass core bronze bristle brush, nylon, or no brush?

3. What are the best brand and size of patches you have found for 6.5 caliber.

4. Do you get better results with square or round patches and what kind of of jag (I hate thin patches that shed)?

5. What are the best solvents, oils, carbon removers you have found? (full disclosure: I love Wipe-Out)

On my new Savage Model 12 LRP in .260 Rem. I just finished the below process as suggested by Savage for their rifles. I used KG-1 to remove the carbon and KG-12 to remove the copper. Also, used Rem. Oil for the last patch each round. Bore guide, too. And Dewey rod.

There may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, however, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:
STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

Fire one round

• Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

Fire a 3 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

Fire a 5 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1
They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.