CLASS 3 FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEC TO OWN

What happens is you do not pass go and end up in jail. A **** good way to end up with a federal felony rap. There has been several convictions of people who believed that they could have a suppressor because of those meaningless laws.

Can you say Supremacy Clause?

It appears they didn't do things correctly, NO PERMIT TO START WITH. So it was matter of not complying with the law to start with. You can't just not comply with the law, but you can get the law changed. That's what I am trying to see if we can get this done. Laws are changed all the time. Just have to get enough people speaking out to get to get the law changed. Don't quite before you start.

Yes, the OP is very confused about this process and it will be hard to convey this to anyone to try and get the NFA repealed.
Not trying to repealed the NFA, but modified it. Laws are modified all the time. Just watch congress in action.
Trump cut a lot of them out during his 4 years. Everybody else I think. (Let see how many can be past.) Our government has past so many laws, they don''t know if they are coming or going.

I haven't had time to scrutinize this in detail to see if it holds promise but I'll pass it along for others' info. It looks like there's a cost, $X.xx/1000 records, etc., to access databases which will associate a given individual's address with a congressional district, but that's just at first glance. It also looks like these tools exist and don't need to be reinvented, but who knows if one would be accessible to us for the purpose of rousing support for modifying the NFA.

Anyway, here's some info on that:

Not trying to repealed the NFA, but modified it. Laws are modified all the time. Just watch congress in action.
Trump cut a lot of them out during his 4 years. Everybody else I think. (Let see how many can be past.) Our government has past so many laws, they don''t know if they are coming or going.
What I and others here are trying to tell you, you do not understand the correct terms and you are confusing. If you are confusing a bunch of pro gun people and are not clear you certainly will not be able to convey the message to politicians. I would suggest you just look at the form you filled out to purchase the suppressor and try to understand the terminology with NFA items before you try and convince others of your fight. People are not going to give you very much time if you do not know what you are referring to and sound like someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Not trying to be a jerk, just some advice that you are not picking up on.

Mike,

This may help you understand a little better. You have all the terms, ideas and process mixed up.

What you applied for was a ATF Form 4 for a suppressor as a Trust. You paid $200. Your other members on the trust will receive the same background check as you, as the primary holder of the trust, will receive.

You did NOT apply for nor will you receive "a class three license" which is correctly called a SOT (Special Occupational Tax) that is an option for a FFL license holder, typically a Type 1 FFL dealer license.

Please read the links and that will hopefully clear up things for you. As it stands now, you are so twisted up on terms and what you are applying for that no one here understands what you are trying to say other than you are unhappy with the process and the law, which you do not fully understand.

The info on FFL types vs AFT Form 4 is good to know, but i's worth reminding ourselves that the OP's original note was about the need to try to get the NFA modified so that we don't have to wait for a year or more to get hearing protection approved. I suggest that's a worthwhile enough goal that it's worth coming back to - I'd certainly be interested in ideas for garnering support from 2A supporters across the country for this.

To that end there is a new bill out HR 3101, the RIFLE act. This bill would repeal all tax associated with class 3 firearms (a suppressor is classified as a firearm). It would not repeal anything else like background checks, the requirement to apply for a form 1 through 5, simply the tax associated with the application.

Yes, his op was about changing the law, but unless and until you can talk intelligently and cogently about the law as it is written you are simply confusing people and turning those who can make a difference off.

Case in point: look at the turmoil in this thread and we are sympathetic to his cause.

The extended waiting time needs to be eliminated along with the tax. If this were a commercial concern they'd go out of business with that level of customer service, but the government doesn't have to be cost-effective or provide effective customer service, and it seems (at least to me) that this is intentional rather than necessary. If it's a resource problem, needing more administrators to process the applications, let's decide not to allocate millions of dollars to some PhD to study newts' sexual behavior, and hire some more administrators.

To that end there is a new bill out HR 3101, the RIFLE act. This bill would repeal all tax associated with class 3 firearms (a suppressor is classified as a firearm). It would not repeal anything else like background checks, the requirement to apply for a form 1 through 5, simply the tax associated with the application.

Yes, his op was about changing the law, but unless and until you can talk intelligently and cogently about the law as it is written you are simply confusing people and turning those who can make a difference off.

Case in point: look at the turmoil in this thread and we are sympathetic to his cause.
Not sure what agency is getting the coin, but since 2014 there has been a tax stamp explosion, not only cans, but SBR's.
Let me say, I guess I don't share your enthusiasm for repealing anything, Not that I would not like to see it, but when has a gov agency relinquished fees? This is a cash crop pure and simple, and with check cashing the first order, no sense of urgency.
Plus it may be some time before our side controls both the executive and legislative side of things. #45 never did control the BATF, or FBI, maybe even the pentagon.
I say be thankful stamps are not 1K instead of 200.

Are you sure you applied for a Class 3 FFL? Are you sure you didn't just submit a Form 4 and pay your $200 for a silencer from a dealer? A Class 3 FFL allows you to deal in NFA items (silencers, machine guns, AOW's).
If you were talking to me, yes, it was Form 4 I was referencing. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Recent Posts