Cicadas are Coming

Mark37082

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but 2024 is the year of the Cicadas. Once the ground warms up they will emerge. It's been about 13 years I believe since the last swarm of the big ones. I can recall the last time I went fishing with a basket full of these Cicadas. We caught fish on every cast. Every fish species in the river just could not resist eating these big ole bigs.
I'm not looking forward to mowing the grass when they are swarming. They seem attracted to the noise or vibrations of the mowers.
I am ready for warm weather now…..

There are very few things as fun as hooking a smallmouth bass on lite tackle IMO.
I usually target them in the local creek's and rivers with 6# but they normally will only get to 16". Now if I'm heading to Lake Erie you better bump up the poundage because they get much bigger. Smallmouths are definitely my favorite fish for catching but walleye for eating!

I'm ready.
IMG_0385.jpeg

I used to be an avid bass fisherman with very expensive gear, boats, and travel. Now I have gone to the simple small river kayak fishing. Floating down a river fishing for smallmouth and trout is just heaven to me. Those big small mouth on the Great Lakes and Tennessee river are spectacular and definitely require different tackle. I will go with a guide or a friend to those fisheries.