Chronographing loads

If i missed the chrony type than i apologize for this long winded post.

When an optical was all i had, everything was shot over it. Setup was fast with a permanent chrony stand out in front of my bench. Because it was optical results varied depending on ambient conditions.

That being said today's choices include the Labradar and others that can be shot over all day long and are very precise. Of coarse my Magneto Speed gives you that option but definitely affects POI and group sizes. Some barrels and calibers more than others.
So in compromise it is used initially to find limits & nodes. All load tuning is then done without the mag speed and does not go back on until a good load is found and then checked for speed es & sd.
Any change in powder or components during workup also calls for new limits & nodes to be checked.
Also the targets always trump the ES & SD. The BEST numbers dont always produce good groups although good loads usually have good numbers.
Agreeing with others good info is great to have for all conditions and the more you have is better, but if you are using a barrel mounted chrony dont handicap yourself with errant target information.

I currently use MagnetSpeed Sporters with Wiser mounts, because they are easy fast setup and you don't slow the range down, when busy(private member range), and the data is close to 100%. The best I'v ever shot over is the Oehler 35P, don't know why I don't have one, probably for setup reasons?! A weather meter is a big part too. One of these days, gonna have to break down and get a pressure trace system... Always be gathering data.

https://oehler-research.com/product/35p-complete-kit/

I've been using the Oehler 35 for years, son bought me a MS sporter for Christmas. I've used other folks MS with good results, never bought one due to the poor mounting system. Hoping I don't have to spend more for mounting system than the crono cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.