chey tec 375

newberry

I'm haven someone build me a 375 cal taking a 408 neck it down to 375. have I lost my mind???? I'm asking anyone what is out their any info. Does anybody have info about Sierra new mk 375 cal 350 gr.

Newberry, first let me welcome you aboard, it's a good place with a great bunch of fellows.i'm assuming you have confidence that Sierra is going to make a 375 SMK or you wouldn't be having a gun built for that caliber. or are you gonna shoot the lost rivers?

Thanks Well it's a long story Bill S is build one for me. I just seen in P.S that the sierra was making them for chey tec. I was just asking anyone what news good or bad about this cal or should i change to the 338 lapua????

If your willing to fund a Chy-Tac based project why not a 338 Chy-Tac or the version that Kirby builds , their are lots of good 338 bullets out their and Berger is supposedly working on a 300gr class bullet and Wildcat bullets makes some up to 350gr I think. I personaly woulden't hold my breath on Serria building bullets for the general public.

If it were me using the 408 case as a parrent for a custom I'd be building a 50 cal on that case. You'll get much longer barrel life , amazing energy and you'll have several good bullets to choose from.

talk to lawton, he seems to use this round alot. If it was me i would go with a 338 version. lawton suggested the 375 cliber also though.

i've heard from a very good source that sierra will be producing the 375 MK's. he has the drawings from sierra of 2 different 375 cal, 350 gr bullets. he will be receiving some from sierra for testing when they're ready.i know he has already built some guns for this caliber, 375/408 and i know for a fact the owners are not planning on shooting any solids.

Good luck with the 375CT.Bullets are comeing but there is very litle out there right now for long range!
Had a 375BMG for a few years that was very fast(4450-5300fps) but not very practicle.Ya can't miss them fast enough to killem trust me! A conversation piece can be had a lot cheaper!
But what the heck does practicle have to do with it
roflmao.gif
roflmao.gif
roflmao.gif

Last I heard Chey Tac had contracted Sierra to make a 350 and 375 gr version of the 375 cal SMK. As far as I know, the entire lot of bullets will be shipped to Chey Tac industries and not available to the public. I also heard that they would probably be available from CT if you wanted to buy the bullets from them.

In talking with Barney Lawton, the 375 Chey Tac is a hell of a round when using the Lost River Ballistic bullet. It is outperforming the 338 rounds off the 408 case by a bit but these bullets are very spendy and you need the right barrel to get them to shoot well. Barney makes specially designed barrels for these bullets and they also work great for other conventional bullets as well.

Wildcat Bullets is working on getting set up for the 375 cal bullets as well. If that happens I hope to talk Richard into going up in bullet weight. Personally, for a conventional lead core bullet design, 375 gr is to light for me unless it is a tipped bullet. I would much rather see a 400 gr bullet and I hope to talk Richard into making me some for my 375 Allen Magnum when its ready to roll. This is basically the same as the 375 CT but with the shoulder moved farther forward for about 10 grains more capacity just like my 338 AM compared to the 338 CT.

Right now the limiting factor is available bullets. Get a Lawton barrel and you can use the LRB bullets if you can afford to shoot them. With a rifle in this price range bullet price really is not a huge factor if you can afford the rifle but still its a consideration.

Other then that, until Sierra makes available the heavier SMK bullets there are really no good options. The 300 gr Sierra BTSP would be a screamer of a bullet but ballistically not even in the same ball park as any of the upper weight 338 long range bullets.

About the 50 cal based on the 408, that is an impressive round. Make it in a rifle heavier then 15 lbs though, mine is currently waiting for a muzzle brake upgrade if I ever get around to machining the new brake. 9000 ft/lbs of energy is not a problem and as mentioned, its almost impossible to heat the barrl up!!! I have put five rounds though mine as fast as I could physically handle, around 2 minutes spread and the barrel was barely warm to the touch. But again, recoil with the conventional brake, exciting to say the least!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

This is the detail that i was looking for thanks for your time. 1st with the barrel Bill is using Krieger Barrel 1-12 tw's. Hope he knows what he is doing ???What do you thing i can have Bill change it. I want the best that is out their.I don't mind to send the $$ but i don't want to go back and re-do it. Bill is calling this 375 cal bas I don't know what hen is doing to the case. lost river is making me some Bullets @ $1.70 each I want to stick with the 375 cal for it is the next best thing for longer range. Got to go my wife is calling

A friend in Nebo Va

i agree with Kirby, if you have any plans on shooting the LRB bullets,get the lawton barrel that he makes for them. i think they have 8 lands that are rather shallow but will also work with other bullets.there has been a couple other posts about this caliber and cartridge.a fellow called triggerfifty probably has more experience than anyone with this cartridge.you can do a search,there was quite a bit of discussion as i recall.

Thanks for your in-put I talked to Barney Lawton yesterday and he is the man. He's going to ship the barrel out to Shehane Monday. Barney also told me that Sierra has some of this barrels testing their new mk 375 cal 350 gr bullets and should be running production bullets very soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.