"Checkmate" scores on antelope

mtnwrunner

Well, late last week, one of the landowners that I work for called me and said that they had a landowners tag for an either sex antelope and asked me if I could use it. Duh.
I only had one and a half day to use it as the season closed on the 24th so I beat feet over to the area and arrived late in the day and saw a bunch of does but they were impossible to get close to this late in the season. I only saw one buck the entire time I was in the area (unit 51) so I had already made up my mind to take a doe. I figured that the doe/buck ratio was about 100 to one.
So on the last day morning, I located a herd that was near a small mountain and at last!---something to hide behind. I grabbed "Checkmate" and headed up the ridge. I climbed about 500 feet, peered over and had them in a draw. Ranged one of the back does at 408, got set up and let the berger 215 fly. I heard the whomp but did not see anything drop. They all ran off over the ridge and a short trip over there revealed a doa doe who ran about 50 yards after the shot. Once again, the 215's performed flawlessly.

Randy

Attachments

• antelope 006.jpg
    antelope 006.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 124
  • antelope 008.jpg
    antelope 008.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 111
  • antelope 009.jpg
    antelope 009.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 138
  • antelope 010.jpg
    antelope 010.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 119
  • antelope 012.jpg
    antelope 012.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 94
  • antelope 001.jpg
    antelope 001.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 133
Very nice shooting Randy. It looks like "Checkmate" is treating you right. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Jon

Super satisfying when it all comes together, isn't it?:)

A rig like Checkmate sure takes a bunch of dinkin around out of the effort.

Now for the woof!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.