Changes in POI

Dirt_Nap

Any suggestions on why this happened. Brand new custom 300prc. All action screws torqued properly. Nightforce scope with Nightforce rings all torqued properly.
Virgin ADG brass with 199 hammers & 79gr h1000.

First pic is last week. Second pic is today. Same load
IMG_7594.jpeg

CAP_84E8A99F-A30A-4811-A165-8391BDB8A974.jpeg

Brand New, does the barrel need cleaned.
Is the barrel broke in? I would not brake it in with H.H bullets, I might use a less expensive bullet. I'm just thinking out loud. Hope this helps.

Brand New, does the barrel need cleaned.
Is the barrel broke in? I would not brake it in with H.H bullets, I might use a less expensive bullet. I'm just thinking out loud. Hope this helps.
It is brand new. Cleaned it after the first range session. Haven't cleaned it since. Probably 25 rounds have been shot since first cleaning

New barrels, IMO , need cleaned after a few shots till I get about 25 rounds.
Everyone's break in procedure is different.
What did the barrel maker recommend or your gunsmith.

Just see how it goes with inexpensive bullets until you see improvement (barrel break in) or you're thru fireforming your new brass. Too many variables for new "this or that". A bit more patience for the moment anyway. Do a ladder test once your brass is formed and reloaded. A seating test might be the ticket before the ladder with a middle of the road powder charge.

First thing I thought of was, "Was the weather the exact same both days?". By "weather", I mean temp, wind speed and direction, humidity.
Second: Did you set up the rifle the same way both times, i.e. same bags/rest set up?
Third: When you say custom rifle, can you give us some details? Heavy gun? Light gun? Muzzle brake? Suppressor?

Group size is close enough that I don't think it would be the scope mounts. In my experience loose rings or mount will cause groups to open up significantly, not just shift POI.
You say you cleaned it after the first range session. Was that first group shot during that 1st session, or was that after?

Without the above questions being answered, my first instinct is to suggest that you are starting to develop a flinch or are anticipating the shot and tensing up. For a right handed shooter when you tense for the shot, you tend to put pressure downward and to the left of the buttstock, causing the end of the barrel to move up and to the right. Again, that is pure speculation on my part, but I have seen it enough times for it to be a common answer for me when I see the POI shift up and to the right for right handed shooters.

I would not be too concerned about it yet.

More rounds down range and getting more comfortable with the rifle.
Could that possibly be from not shouldering the rifle the same?