chamber stub use?

djtjr

guys i have a gun that i got with a chamber stub that was made with the same reamer and was wondering how it is used and what to do with it. i assume it can be used for seating depth adjustments just not sure how to do it or what else it is useful for. any help here is greatly appreciated.,
thanks and all the best,
don

It's purpose is for measuring bullet seating on loaded ammo. A seating comparator.
It is more accurate for reproducing seated distance to lands than common reloading tools, that are often drilled at typical bore diameter.

To use it, first find distance to lands as normal, and make a max oal round.
Drop your gizzy on the max oal round and measure max ogvOAL & log it.
From now on all adjustments to seating would be based on this value.
So if you figure out that bullets 10thou off the lands are best for your gun, this ammo would gizzy measure 10thou shorter than your max ogvOAL.
And you can reproduce it.

I have a box full of them--use them to set the seating depth of the bullet when setting up the load. My process is the same for every rifle (believe it or not) and this little jewel cuts the time it takes to initially set up everything. Some of them (competition tubes) are even cut away so you can really see what is going on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.