CenTx hunter/shooter

TallTx

First off, in my post asking for suggestions and recommendations, I misstated when I said that I didn't have any long guns. I do. I have a Remington 710 30-06 that I'm not very impressed with. The problem is that its competing with the memory of my Belgum Browning 270 simi auto, which I had to part with a huge number of years ago.

I grew up around firearms, my dad was on the 4th Army Pistol Team back in the 50's and taught me some of what he knew and learned. He was more of a paper puncher than hunter but we did hunt some here in Texas. It was on one of the hunts that I really became intregued with, what I considered at the time, long range shooting.

I was 16 or 17 and wanting to prove myself as good as any man on our lease, I took a shot that in retrospect, I probably should haven't taken at the time. I dropped an 8 point 450 yds accross what passes for a valley in central Texas. It was a nice clean kill and the buck only ran about 20 yds before dropping. Thankfully it was still between dawn and sunrise so the thermals hadn't kicked in otherwise, at best, I would have missed or, at worst, I would have maimed the buck.

Ever since then I have wondered how far could I accurately consistantely shoot. That was nearly 40 years ago and I never had the chance or probably more accurate, never took the opportunity to find out. Until now.

I just need to get off this jobsite so I can start working on my kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.