Hunter, shooter, reloader in fairbanks, ak

Ricky C

I've been hunting and shooting for most of my life and a reloader for 35 years or so. I retired out of the Army after almost 21 years as a CW3, worked electronic maintenance then and still do now as a gov't civilian. I have visited this site often, usually looking for solid info and I've usually found it so I decided to join it.

Take Care, Rick

Rick, thank you for joining LRH. Great to have you on board. Thank you for your military service to our country.
Hey Heavyiron, Thanks, I had a great career/time in the Army, met great people and went to some pretty cool places. Some pretty hot ones too!

Take Care, Rick

Welcome to the forum! Do you do any shooting in the winter around Fairbanks?
Hey ShtrRdy,

I went to the range last weekend and did some accuracy and chronograph testing. Working on some loads for a friend's 338 Win Mag and also for my 6.5X300 Wby.

Take Care, Rick

Hey Hunter67WA,

I have been here for over twenty years now, two tours here while in the Army and I stayed after retiring from the Army. So I guess I like it pretty well, Ha Ha. I see that you are a VFW life member, so thanks for your service. I'm eligible to join as well, just never did. I think DAV got to me first and with that one and a bunch of other Org's I'm a life member of just never got around to joining.
Fairbanks is a good sized city, but it has a small town feel to it, which I like. Summer's are awesome and I like winter, it is very beautiful in the winter. I don't really care for the -40 degree days, but I think it helps keep some of the yahoos in the lower 48.

Take Care, Rick

Ricky thank you for your service as well. I hear you on the weather. Here in Wyoming the weather keeps some people away also. I have enjoyed Alaska when I have been there and I will be back. If I get up that way I will give you a holler. I taught a class up there in 2017 and am working on coming back up to teach again if I do I will make it a point to get to Fairbanks as I just want to see it.

Hey Hunter, what did you come up here to teach? I do a lot of teaching/training in my current job. Guess I did while I was in the Army too, ha ha.

Take Care, Rick

Would love to hear a synopsis of your hunting up there......for us jealous yahoos in the lower 48.

Hey Slas,

I have been lucky enough to get drawn for a Kodiak Island brown bear tag, I shot a beautiful boar that squared out at 9 ft. My best trophy by far. Rich Hamilton is the taxidermist that did the mount and it is amazing. I've also taken a chocolate color phased black bear that squared out at 6ft 6in. This one Rich made into a rug for me, again it's awesome. I shot both bears with a 375 caliber, a 375H&H for the Kodiak and a TC pistol in 375 JDJ for the chocolate. I have shot a decent number of Caribou, I got to hunt with some Native Alaskans two years in a row up on the north slope. Incredible people and fun hunts. I got to host four of my cousins when they came up to hunt caribou, we chased the bou around up north with our bows. One of the most fun hunts I've been on. I've shot four moose, nothing huge, but they've all tasted great. I've been on two Dall sheep hunts where I've been skunked and a goat hunt with the same result. Weather can really kick your *** up here. On the goat hunt we spent five days stuck in the tent, only had two days to really hunt. Found goats but couldn't get to them in time. On the second sheep hunt, weather kept us from hunting and half way through the season I tore my bicep tendon off at the elbow. That's a season ender!
Since this is the Long range hunting my longest shot was on a caribou up north that someone else had wounded and they were out of bullets. I had a Scope that had an extra reticule in it for range finding, I had calibrated it for caribou. The bou was at 500 yds, I dailed the scope up to match 500. I shot the first time and missed. Didn't account enough for the wind, 2nd shot, I saw him fall over before I heard the thump of the bullet hitting him in the chest. I also get out and hunt upland game, the Brittany I have as my avatar is a bird hunting machine. I get out a couple times a year for waterfowl too. Sounds like a lot of hunting, but I've been here for over twenty years altogether. Makes me think I haven't got out enough! Couple more years until I retire for good and then maybe I'll have more time.

Ricky, I was hosted by Gunstart AK to teach a trauma class and a shot placement class for pistol in Anchorage. Working on coming up and doing a carbine class next The hunting is awesome up there Ive always enjoyed AK and when we moved to WY we thought if we didn't like it we would try AK

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.