CCI BR-2 for 300 RUM

remingtonman_25_06

I noticed that some of the primers people were using in the 300 RUM are the Fed 210M. Which is the match primer. This primer is a Large rifle primer only. I thought the powder capacity of the RUM had to have the hotter spark of the 215. My question is this, do you guys think the CCI large rifle match primer, known as the BR-2, will work in my .300 RUM? I just want to see if the consistency is a little better than the 215 that I'm using now. Reason I ask is because I have the CCI's on hand, so thought I would give em a try first.

Rem

every gun and load is a beast unto its own. You have general rules but each gun will make a liar out of those at times.

You will not know until you try, often people find something that is not supposed to work well is just exactly what their gun wants.

I have cut my ES and SD in half by just switching primers on some loads.

Try it.

BH

RemMan,
I've fired many rounds in competition with a 338 Lapua Improved using Fed210M primers without an issue. In that rifle they shoot better and had better number across the chrono as compared to the 215M I was using. So you don't NEED a 215 (or a LR Mag primer) for large powder capacity cases.

But, I know on more than one occasion with shooters using the 300 Ackley and CCI-BR2 primers would have hang-fires in cooler weather in the spring or fall matches. In the summer time the CCIs would work better than the Federals they were using. I've known this to happen to more than 1 shooter using different guns. And 1 shooter in particular it has happened more than once and I've witnessed it. But Fed210s have never failed in the same gun using the same components.

Why? I don't know. But it has happened. Keep an eye on things and see how it goes. LR primers can work in large capacity cases. But there is something about the CCI-BR primer that is different. This was within the last 2-3yrs. I don't beleive I known anyone to try it again in the last year.

Steve

I hear the BR-2 is the mildest of the LR primers, never have used them in anything other than 308 Win though. The 210M works in all my 300 Ultra loads, and the 30-338 LI down to the +20 deg temps I've fired them both in, never a problem except once here lately. A load in the 30-338 LI with RL22 produced 2 hangfires at 45 deg I think, it was not cold out. I believe it was the RL22, never have hat a problem with RL25 or Retumbo.

Steve,
what powder do you use with the Yogi? Ever use H4831 and the 210M? That's pretty quick stuff for the Yogi though, and my Lapua.

I was out of RL25 and Retumbo, the only real reason I grabbed the jug of RL22. I was loading 83gr with the 200 Accubond at the time.

Brent,
I went as fast as R22/210Ms/300 SMK. The best I can remember it was 87 or 88gr but that is in the 338 also.
I know of another Yogi shooter that is trying H4831 though. Don't know his results yet. He does a lot of testing and it's hard to keep up with him.
Also Tom Sarver has been using a 300 Yogi for several years now with great success using H1000 and 210 JLKs I believe. I've been beat by that combination more than once.

Steve

I may have to try H1000, never have. No hangfires with the 210M and the faster powders though?

I just wanted to clarify the statement I made above -

I believe it was the RL22, never have had a problem with RL25 or Retumbo.

I was definitely using RL22, just that I think it was "due to" the faster RL22 because I never have had a problem with the other two. Maybe the lack of load density caught up with it, or the powder?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.