Caution Red Locktite = Junk

Red loctite = Torch maul and sledge, breaker bar and wrenches with a whole lot of cussing, when having to lay on your back in slush and cold water trying to get the part in question free so it can be fixed/replaced and extended down time due to snapping off bolt heads and a warm shop no where in sight.

Blue loctite = large wrench breaker bar and minimal time with exposure to slush cold water and level of cussing moderated unless teamed up with the designated clueless company klutz....

Had this happen 3 years back on an out of state elk hunt, blue loktite on mine. Cost me a cow @ what should have been a gimme 540 yards.
I take great care in mounting my optics; cleaning, torquing and what-not. In this case a Nightforce base torqued @ the manufacturer's 25 inch pound specs. Since then it's had 8-40 screws installed and it happened again. Now it requires a torch to remove. The scope would also slip and I had to add a third ring. It wears a lighter scope now and that alleviated that problem.

Had this happen 3 years back on an out of state elk hunt, blue loktite on mine. Cost me a cow @ what should have been a gimme 540 yards.
I take great care in mounting my optics; cleaning, torquing and what-not. In this case a Nightforce base torqued @ the manufacturer's 25 inch pound specs. Since then it's had 8-40 screws installed and it happened again. Now it requires a torch to remove. The scope would also slip and I had to add a third ring. It wears a lighter scope now and that alleviated that problem.
That's a whole pile of frustration. I had to add a third ring on a couple of my heavier scopes as well.

Loctite has an expiration date, we have to throw out that stuff at work constantly. Get a fresh bottle or tube and try it again, I will agree and get the blue medium strength thread locker. The red, high strength thread locker on those small fine pitch threads are asking for trouble.

I have used both blue and red Loctite weekly for many years (CNC machine tool repair) and lots of experience with it. They use to call the blue "medium strength" and red "high strength" but that is very confusing. You can use red on a 1" bolt coating several threads and it will be high strength, coat 1 or 2 threads on a 8-40 bolt and it will be low strength. The surface area that is coated determines the amount of holding power. I have mostly used red on the scope mounting screws and have never had one come loose and I have never used heat or excessive pressure to break them free, I only put on a small amount. At times I have used blue and you can coat the whole bolt on a small screws used on scope rings. I have used Loctite on muzzle brakes and would never use red, a small amount of blue on 2-3 threads and you are good to go.

Put an old 7.5x50 Ajack scope on anything bigger than 7.92x57 IS , and you have to use teflon tape in the scope rings to keep it from walking, I don't like soldering the tube to the ring, so found a high turret mount that has a modern ring configuration.

Beautiful night or low light glass and just looks classy on a Mauser, commercial or military.

Funny, but I always clean my screw threads with alcohol, but the RED Loctite I have says 222MS. YES i miss-typed 242 is the correct number. thanks
Loctite 222ms is low strength locking and sealing "purple" It's not anywhere close to "red", or even "blue". Loctite has a shelf life, throw it away if it's too old. It also needs to be shaken well and have the first small amount that comes out of the dispenser tip be on a paper towel and thrown away, as it's not fully mixed in the tip. I have to go through loctite training for work... Yes that's a real thing, especially in the aerospace industry.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts