Caution Red Locktite = Junk

DENWA

Just came home from a very unsuccessful week long deer hunt(for many reasons).

While I never had the opportunity to squeeze the trigger I will give this word of caution.

When cleaning my rifle from all the freezing rain I noticed My scope bases were very loose.

Not sure if it was the truck ride nor do I care but the bases were moving so bad it would have been a significant failure as all the shots I did have were 400+yds.

FYI--I just cleaned the screws and holes with break cleaner and used Locktite 442(superglue) to lock them down for good.

I've had scope issues on a hunt before and it absolutely sucks. Sorry to hear that

Also, use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It has been found that chlorinated (chlorine) gets into the metal, and cause stress fractures- something you don't need in rings, bases, screws or anywhere for that matter. Non-chlorinated is on the shelf right next to the chlorinated, and the price is the same (at NAPA anyway).

Just came home from a very unsuccessful week long deer hunt(for many reasons).

While I never had the opportunity to squeeze the trigger I will give this word of caution.

When cleaning my rifle from all the freezing rain I noticed My scope bases were very loose.

Not sure if it was the truck ride nor do I care but the bases were moving so bad it would have been a significant failure as all the shots I did have were 400+yds.

FYI--I just cleaned the screws and holes with break cleaner and used Locktite 442(superglue) to lock them down for good.

You must have done something wrong. The problem with Red Loctite is that when applied properly you've pretty well welded the metal together and will have to heat it to 400 F or higher to ever break it loose.

Had you torqued your mounting screws properly they would not have vibrated loose with or without the loctite.

If you want to use something to secure them just use plain superglue gel.

When applying blue loctite, give the screw holes and screws a shot of brake cleaner or some sort of degreasing solvent. Allow to dry. I've had less problems by doing this.

I've always used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with an acetone based fingernail polish as a degreaser on gun parts and have yet to find anything that does the job as well.

442 is a structural adhesive, not a thread locker. Red Loctite 272 is an almost permanent thread locker. You want 242 (Blue). Don't blame the product if it's not used in it's proper application.
Funny, but I always clean my screw threads with alcohol, but the RED Loctite I have says 222MS. YES i miss-typed 242 is the correct number. thanks

I've always used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with an acetone based fingernail polish as a degreaser on gun parts and have yet to find anything that does the job as well.
I just use some "Gun Srubber". It has a big label and it's fast and easy. A big can lasts about a year or more, since I'm a bit lazy on "scrubbing guns". Point being, get the lube out of the threads if you want the thread locker to perform as intended. Friction and lube are not the best of friends when their respective applications are mixed. I have a little cabinet with a lot of cans of stuff that I seldom use. A huge can labeled "gun scrubber" sort'a calls out to me. Taking the time to mix a couple of compounds is probably the way to. I do it with my case lube. Bottom line... if a dude wants tight screws, he won't lube them up as he's trying to crank them down. That's why you de-grease the threads. Once in a great while, small things make a huge difference. Problem is... which small things?

I just use some "Gun Srubber". It has a big label and it's fast and easy. A big can lasts about a year or more, since I'm a bit lazy on "scrubbing guns". Point being, get the lube out of the threads if you want the thread locker to perform as intended. Friction and lube are not the best of friends when their respective applications are mixed. I have a little cabinet with a lot of cans of stuff that I seldom use. A huge can labeled "gun scrubber" sort'a calls out to me. Taking the time to mix a couple of compounds is probably the way to. I do it with my case lube. Bottom line... if a dude wants tight screws, he won't lube them up as he's trying to crank them down. That's why you de-grease the threads. Once in a great while, small things make a huge difference. Problem is... which small things?
I just have a small medicine dropper bottle of it in the gun cleaning box HA!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.