Cartridge to utilize new 131 ace

Have you thought about 25/284?
The OP stated it was a short action if I'm not mistaken.

25x284 JGS reamers will be here very soon.

upload_2019-3-10_20-18-31.png

Since you have a short action .473 bolt face my first thought is a 25-260 Remington Ackley Improved. :)
You can gat Lapua brass ( big plus). And possibly a bushing die set for 260AI with the appropriate bushing for 25 cal bullets.
Even better would be a 25/6.5 SLR. You could have 6 XC efficiency in a 260 Rem. Lapua case. It would rival a 25/284 without all the bad barrel manners of a necked down 284 case. Ideal cartridge for a Tikka or Mauser intermediate action. You don't have to load everything hot to get decent velocity.

Have you thought about 25/284?
Yes, but only for an intermediate length action. For a true short action, the 25x47, 25 Creed on the cusp, or 25 / 6 XC are reasonable for .473" bolt face. The 25 SST is the winner take all Cartridge. You will have a fast runner even with moderate charges of RL-26.

Yes, but only for an intermediate length action. For a true short action, the 25x47, 25 Creed on the cusp, or 25 / 6 XC are reasonable for .473" bolt face. The 25 SST is the winner take all Cartridge. You will have a fast runner even with moderate charges of RL-26.

Updated the Overbore index with a few cartridges when a Target Shooter commented that these 25 Cal cartridges were severely overbore compared to the ones they commonly use. It was pure coincidence I was working on the updated Overbore Index right when he brought it up. 25x47L is as close to not overbore as you can get. 25 Creed is right in the sweet spot of performance and barrel life, and 25x284 is getting hot! Fun but hot!

Overbore Index.png

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.