Cartridge to utilize new 131 ace

OldManOwen

Good evening all,
I'm very excited about the new 131 ACE Bullet and I have a Remington SA (currently .220 Swift) sitting unused. I'm a novice reloader, I been hand loading several calibers for about 20 years. Blackjack Bullets has barrel blanks in stock, and I'm looking for suggestions/guidance choosing a cartridge. Please keep in mind I have never loaded a "Wildcat" before, the closest I have come is the .280 AI and I cheated by purchasing brass from Nosler.
Does anyone sell brass already formed for a SAUM or similar cartridge necked down to .257? I would love to be able to push this projectile to 3200 FPS or maybe even a little more. I would also like this cartridge to be able to handle the slightly heavier hunting specific bullet they plan to release soon. Thank you!

Rich Sherman (Sherman Wildcat Cartridges) has the .25 SST that is a magnum short-action cartridge. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. But the folks over at Blackjack say that sooner or later they'll have a .25-06 AI reamer that will be perfect for your .280 AI rifle, without any modifications.

You'll have a few more/ better options in a LA. The weatherby comes to mind.
The Sherman short keep coming up, but I have some reservations about the long term availability of them (or any other new cartridge).
Not sure if it's an option, but what about necking down a 270 wsm case? The 270 wsm is here to stay and would an easy wildcat.

The Sherman short keep coming up, but I have some reservations about the long term availability of them (or any other new cartridge).
Not sure if it's an option, but what about necking down a 270 wsm case? The 270 wsm is here to stay and would an easy wildcat.

That's the beauty of having choices and personal preferences.

Good evening all,
I'm very excited about the new 131 ACE Bullet and I have a Remington SA (currently .220 Swift) sitting unused. I'm a novice reloader, I been hand loading several calibers for about 20 years. Blackjack Bullets has barrel blanks in stock, and I'm looking for suggestions/guidance choosing a cartridge. Please keep in mind I have never loaded a "Wildcat" before, the closest I have come is the .280 AI and I cheated by purchasing brass from Nosler.
Does anyone sell brass already formed for a SAUM or similar cartridge necked down to .257? I would love to be able to push this projectile to 3200 FPS or maybe even a little more. I would also like this cartridge to be able to handle the slightly heavier hunting specific bullet they plan to release soon. Thank you!
Since you have a short action .473 bolt face my first thought is a 25-260 Remington Ackley Improved. :)
You can gat Lapua brass ( big plus). And possibly a bushing die set for 260AI with the appropriate bushing for 25 cal bullets.

for what you want, short action 3200 fps. the 25 SST from Sherman wildcats. Rich has dies, brass, reamers to rent, and best of all the loading data.
other options maybe cheaper but all are a compromise on a short action

Not sure if it's an option, but what about necking down a 270 wsm case? The 270 wsm is here to stay and would an easy wildc
Good evening all,
257 Wheatherby is a good one, 25 gibbs, 25stw. Check out Quarterbore shooters on facebook lots of info there

Since you have a short action .473 bolt face my first thought is a 25-260 Remington Ackley Improved. :)
You can gat Lapua brass ( big plus). And possibly a bushing die set for 260AI with the appropriate bushing for 25 cal bullets.
On a standard bolt face and s/a I think this would be your fastest option.
But for the sake of speed, a 257wby

after playing around on quickdesign with the 25 creed and 25-260ai the case capacity is 7 gr more for the 25-260ai but when loaded to the same oal of 2.850 for a short action the difference is down to only 2 gr. As much as I don't care for the creed it would be the easiest option for a reloader not use to fireforming wildcats but neither will reach his velocity goal. he will have to have the bolt face opened up when he rebarrels to meet the velocity goal

after playing around on quickdesign with the 25 creed and 25-260ai the case capacity is 7 gr more for the 25-260ai but when loaded to the same oal of 2.850 for a short action the difference is down to only 2 gr. As much as I don't care for the creed it would be the easiest option for a reloader not use to fireforming wildcats but neither will reach his velocity goal. he will have to have the bolt face opened up when he rebarrels to meet the velocity goal
Then.... 25 WSM, 3400 fps with Reloder 33 ???? He'll have to replace the mag and follower also. Unsure about dies then.

For the speed you're looking for, you'll most likely need to have a short action magnum or go long action.

If you stay with the short action and standard bolt face, 25 creed or 25-260 AI would be nice as well.

Thank you all for the wealth of information! Just spent some time looking at the 25 SST and I love the fact that brass is available (or will be soon) and they have reamer rentals. On the other hand a lightweight build in 25-260AI sounds like a handy rifle. Does anyone have an educated guess on how fast I could safely push the 131 in the 25-260AI? It looks like Lapua makes 243 and 260 brass, I'm assuming necking down to .257 from 260 brass would be the way to go? Leaning towards the Sherman just because the brass is already done for me, but who knows, maybe I just need to jump in and learn.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.