Can I use this scope (Leupold 6.5-20x40)

stover954rr

Hi Everyone,
I have just picked up a 10fp (24"bl) and would like to get a scope on it. I am aware of the importance of a good scope but just don't have the money right now for a MK4 or anything. I do have an older 6.5-20x40mm Leupold vari-xiii 1"tube with target turrets. I guess my question is does this scope have enough range to go from 100-1k yds? Or should I sell it and look at a true LR scope. The elevation turret will give me 4 full turns (it has 5 marks, but will only turn down to the first one even though it looks like it should go farther) and it is 1/4 intervals. I don't have the box or anything to the scope, so I am looking for some answers. I really appreciate your input!
right.jpg
left.jpg

Last edited:
I took the same scope and added turrets. Leupold charges 130 for m1 turrets (this is what the mark 4 has). anyway, it worked great

i have that very scope and can tell you from experience it's the scope that put Leupold on the worst scopes list. their achiles heel is the AO adjustment on the front. it won't stay still. most bench guys had to epoxy them in place. mine even has a Cecil Tucker conversion on it but the POI will change 2" at 100 yards if you turn the AO. my advice is to sell it because it will probably cause you agrevation. to answer your original question, it has plenty of adjustment to get you to 1K. most have about 60 moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.