can I make 7mag brass out of 300wm brass?

GrayCreed

The question is just that!

Can I neck it down without a big shoulder bump/blowout problem?

I can find quality 300wm brass but can't find any 7mag brass except PPU brass....

Speaking of which...

What do you guys think of PPU brass?

What's better factory PPU brass or necked down Norma/Nosler brass (300wm-7mag)?

You can, it's the same head size. The necked down 300WM brass will likely have thicker necks, tho.

If you can find 264WM brass and neck up, that would be even easier.

Are you willing to turn necks? If not, it's probably more trouble than it's worth to make it out of 300WM brass, especially if you aren't experienced in reloading and case forming.

I have no experience with PPU brass, but I hear that it's quality is hit or miss (usually miss).

The question is just that!

Can I neck it down without a big shoulder bump/blowout problem?

I can find quality 300wm brass but can't find any 7mag brass except PPU brass....

Speaking of which...

What do you guys think of PPU brass?

What's better factory PPU brass or necked down Norma/Nosler brass (300wm-7mag)?
I have excellent luck with them on my .270 Win and currently using them on my .264 WM. "If" you're an average hunter like I am, then PPU will serve you well. 😇

My experience with PPU is all positive. It's perfectly usable brass that doesn't pretend to
be more what than it is price wise.

it is kinda soft compared to Winchester, not as soft as federal, but starts with tighter primer pockets than either to begin with. Does show pressure faster than Winchester or any of the pricier ones. Heavier than Winchester, less capacity. Biggest surprise to me is that it exhibited WAY more consistency (weight and neck concentricity) than Winchester, federal, Remington, or hornady.

if it's available and I needed brass I sure wouldn't turn up my nose at the stuff.

that's just my very limited experience (bought 1 one hundred count bag of .300 win mag brass, still using it).

I have 100 pieces new in the box Nosler 7 rem mag brass. $150 tyd

Attachments

• F2C0C2FA-ED16-4D5E-A533-2B61DFA9433B.jpeg
    F2C0C2FA-ED16-4D5E-A533-2B61DFA9433B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
Me Personally I think that shooters put to much emphasis, on what they want and not what they can get as of late. Sure I have my preferences along with plenty of quirks believe you me, but how many times do we actually get to go shooting or hunting compared to the times we wish we could. So it's not your favorite Brass, Bullets, Powder, even Primer big deal, it is not a life long commitment in fact it is a short one probably the shortest one you will ever have. I am not saying buy a lifetime supply of the stuff only enough to get you by, so you can actually go out and shoot or hunt. Think of all they enjoyment you are or would be depriving yourself because you are hung up on not having your preffered components. Just last week I went to the range with some old loads that I had out grown or had improved upon, and spent most of the time shooting over the chrono and watching the vapor trail. I had a blast and did not have to worry about groupings or fliers to ruin that grouping ect. I am not singling you out it is just I have been hearing that a lot lately and think it's a shame cause you can never get those missed outings back.

Dean

Last edited:
You can make a 7-300 or 7 Practical out of 300 WM, but not 7 mag. Be patient. 7 mag brass is waiting to be found on this site.
He can make it with a set of case forming dies. The necks will require reaming. With standard dies running over 6mos and specials a year out, not real realistic, without using some old wildcatting tricks that not everyone knows.

Hey OP I will send you 50 once fired 7mm Rem Mag no charge, I am in a giving mood I sold my Barrett 50 Cal to a good Christian home and worked out the delema with my friends family so I am in a good place right now. PM me your address if you want them, Just feel like paying it forward.

Dean

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.