Making 338-378 Out of 460 Bee brass

Dean2

I have a batch of extra 460 brass and my plan was to neck it down to 338. Of course you can't do that in a single step without crushing the necks. My original plan was to run them through a 375 neck die first, problem is I don't have a 378 Bee die and the cases are too large in diameter to go into any 375 die I do have. It isn't worth buying forming dies or a set of 378 dies just to neck down 60 cases so I was hoping someone on here had some bright ideas on how to get the first reduction done so I can then run them through the 338 seater then the 338 sizing die. Thanks for any help.

Give the folks at Bullberry a call. They make simple sizing down "dies" that size down gently in steps that aren't expensive. They work great. Just tell them what you're doing.

I've taken 460 down to 378 , not sure if you can get to 338. I used my 416 dies then to the 378 dies. I did lose some to the necks kinking in. Time you get to 338 your necks are going to get thick.

I've taken 460 down to 378 , not sure if you can get to 338. I used my 416 dies then to the 378 dies. I did lose some to the necks kinking in. Time you get to 338 your necks are going to get thick.
Most of it started out as 378 brass but even the 460 is easy to neck turn if I need to.

GL. I never thought about bullberry, I sent them an email. Thanks for the idea.

D-2, I was given 40 pieces 338/378 Wby brass. I thought I'd neck them down to 30/378 which I did. The necks were thick so I bought a Forster .30 cal neck reamer and it worked well out well. I'd bet going from 460 to .338 would be quite difficult. Good luck, would like to see the results.

D-2, I was given 40 pieces 338/378 Wby brass. I thought I'd neck them down to 30/378 which I did. The necks were thick so I bought a Forster .30 cal neck reamer and it worked well out well. I'd bet going from 460 to .338 would be quite difficult. Good luck, would like to see the results.
I will take pictures of the process if I can figure out how to do it for a reasonable cost and will definitely post pictures of the re-sized brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.