Can a 700 SA be chambered in a WSM ??

Jesse Jaymes

I know caps is shouting but we are talking LEFT HANDED.

The market is very slim for us few lefties. I have between some and a few left handed rifles. I have a 300 WSM worked up and it's very nice, but with a MRC 1999 action and a McMillan, it's gotta be over 9 pounds. I am getting more physically fit and increasing personal goals. Looking to get up into the high country.

I'd like a nice, light, mountain rifle. I am or was even (gasp) considering a factory right handed rifle and be done with it for $600.

I do have a Remington 700 LH 22-250. It's a somewhat expendable action as I already have another 22-250, 223, and building a 204 on a LH 700 w/ .378 blt.

Can a regular 700 SA be built into a functioning WSM ?? I believe the bolt face opening is not a big deal, but the feeding and functioning ??

I'd like a 270 WSM, and having one in LH would be great, but I cannot afford to spend $2K.

Yes my 300WSM started life as a 22-250. Feeding is not a problem there are several options, the HS box mag, AI Badger box, Wyatts.

Jessee James, Also use a follower for the 300 SAUM from Rem. This solves the problem of feeding out of the magazine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes it can,

and you can get a new left hand action from remington for under $400 with the appropiate bolt head and feed rails. the one i got was a non J-lock action with a trigger.

d-a

I do not know everything, hence the question, but if I can truly obtain a left handed short action from Remington with a magnum sized bolt face and including a short mag follower and mag well, can you please tell me where ??

I build up a light weight Remm 700 SA in LH in 243 and have been considering rebarreling it to 6.5 or 7mm but not sure what cartridge. I used a HighTech stock and that trimmed 11 oz off the weight.

I've done a bit of research on cartridge options and here is my comparison.

392553.JPG

Its quite interesting when you start to look at what fits into a short action (and by that I mean 2.8" overall cartridge length)

Considering the Nozler 140g bullet, even with the 7mm08 you loose some case capacity due to the bullet projecting below the base of the neck.

The SAUM looks like a well thought out case, same length as 7mm08 but longer neck so handles longer bullets better and 30 deg. shoulder.

The WSM looks like something Winchester dreamed up just to outdo Remingtons SAUM, strange how its taken off betteer than th SAUM. Dosnt really look like a short Action cartridge!

The 284 looses the most capacity due to the bullet projectiing into the case, but its still a 0.479 bolt face, you can get high quality (Laupa) brass and its got the similar capacity as the venerable 270 Winchester whcih is as much horspower as I'm looking for.

7mm08 - probably the most efficient cartridge of the bunch, just I want something a little different and with a bit more range.

Looks like Brownwells have a longer mag box and I can take out some action material out of the back of the magazine box area, then added a follower from the Rem 7 SAUM follower which fixed all feeding and magazine problems. This should extend the OAL to about 2.95 so the 284 dosnt loose as much capacity.

Here are case capacities:
---------Base of Neck-----Lost Cap---Effective Cap
7mm08-------50.2-----------2.5----------47.7
284---------59.8-----------5.4----------54.4
270(130g)---61.3-----------0.9----------60.4
7mmSAUM-----67.3-----------2.4----------64.9
7mmWSM------72.8-----------3.5----------69.3

I dont like recoil so my current thoughts are the 260 Rem, but if I was going for a bit more horsepower I'd go with the SAUM over the WSM

Hope this helps

Grant

NZVarminter

You must remember that the 7mm wsm is approximatly .100 longer from the base to shoulder than the 270,300, and 325 wsm's thats why the neck looks so short.

d-a

NZ-

All good thoughts. I am trying to make the best and most feasible decision. I can see all of your points adn thoughts on the powder capacity issues, although they do not really concern me as much. Overall length and function are a huge concern, and in my mind the fps is what it is. That is why I was looking for a larger case, to be able to lose just a bit of fps due to powder space limitations.

The 284 in 7 or 6.5 is appealing, but am wondering if some of the feeding issues that may come up would be just as much trouble as a WSM type case. The SAUM's may look well designed, but they are just taboo to me for some reason. I do not feel they are long for this world at all.

On the Hi Tech, thanks for the specs. I am going to get one regardless of the few hang ups I hear on them, as they will give me a discount for being a dealer. For the price, I can not afford not to try them. How do you like yours ?? I've heard the cast off of the stock is very severe, but not bothersome ??

In all I should probably just bed the factory action in a Hi Teck stock and be done with the project for $200 instead of spending another. For a high country deer and smaller rifle, the 243 and TSX's would be adequate.

Jessi

I relly like the HighTech stock. Yes there is a significant cast in the stock, but that just helps it point nicely. It seems to soak up the recoli nicely, though I suspect the cast my contribute to some racking under recoil which might be more of a problem with higher recoil cartridges.

These stocks are exceptional value for the money. Another one to look at if you really want to get the weight down are the MPI stocks. they make a light weight one that come in around 10 oz.

Regarding the length of the wsm case, the list of cartridge measurements shows the 270, 7mm and 300wsm all being 2.10 case length.

Cheers

Grant

[ QUOTE ]
D-A, as expected, not available. I may still convert a standard bolt face, or just re weight my options literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked at remigtons web site, they do not offer the rsum cartridges any more for the leftys.

you can have the bolt face opened up and add a sako extractor for under $150. that solves two problems you have, bad remington extraction and too small of a bolt face.

he is waiting on his suppliers right now to release some more actions. I too am waiting on another action that wont be available till mid may.i bought a short action laft hand from him in october last year.

d-a

Jessee Jaymes, I built a 284 on a SA Rem 700BDL. Other than changing the follower and putting in a longer magazine box (from Brownell), everything worked out OK. No problems in feeding or function. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.