camouflaging a pumpie

338bigdog

G'day

i'm hoping someone can help. Has anyone ever camo'd a pump action before? If so how was it done? I have one which is blued on timber stock. I'm doing a particular type of shooting now and I want to get my gun camo'd. I have never attempted anything like it before however I'm willing to give it a go.

In particular will I need to:

Paint each piece seperately?
Protect the receiver from paint?
Leave the slides as blued/black?

If I can paint the barrel and tube mag, how do i do it? My gun is prone to getting hot. Very hot. Very quickly. Right now the condition of the blue on the barrel is good condition with no noticeable wear. Should I get all the steel parts reblued before I go and paint?

any advice would be greatly appreciated guys and girls

Thank you

Hi, i didn't download the instructions on the other post, but i have painted a Mossberg 835 , two Browning A-Bolt stainless bolt actions, and an ar-15.......basically, degrease with brake kleen from an auto store, mask off anything you don't want painted, paint large areas of your base colors, tan, olive drab, black, whatever, and then use either stencils or real grasses and leaves on a branch held up against the gun, and lightly sprayed with a different color than the base...with a little work, you will be amazed at how awesome your camo job will look....BUT...remember, it is paint, and will wear in time...the good thing is that you can shoot the areas to be touched up, and it will still be camoflauged.....hope this was some help.....

G'day

i'm hoping someone can help. Has anyone ever camo'd a pump action before? If so how was it done? I have one which is blued on timber stock. I'm doing a particular type of shooting now and I want to get my gun camo'd. I have never attempted anything like it before however I'm willing to give it a go.

In particular will I need to:

Paint each piece seperately? Yes, Paint what you can seperately.
Protect the receiver from paint? As much as you can to keep paint from entering the action.
Leave the slides as blued/black? No need to paint these, as they are a wear point anyhow.

If I can paint the barrel and tube mag, how do i do it? Use an enamel.It holds up to heat very well. My gun is prone to getting hot. Very hot. Very quickly. Right now the condition of the blue on the barrel is good condition with no noticeable wear. Should I get all the steel parts reblued before I go and paint? No need to do that as long as the parts are clean. Prime all parts thoroughly before painting.

any advice would be greatly appreciated guys and girls

Thank you
I have added photos of my M-700 that I recently painted.
The steps that I took to complete the job are as follows:
1) Disassemble as needed
2) Degrease as needed with 70% isopropyl alcohol
3) Prime all parts to be painted using 2 coats
4) Clear coat parts (2 coats), dull
I hope that this helps, and feel free to contact me should you have any questions. These photos do no justice to the actual paint job. My camera is kind of low quality. -1357MAG
PICT0136.jpg
PICT0135.jpg

Yellowblackbarrel02.jpg

This is Cerakote.
Colors are: Graphite black, and School bus yellow.
I have other colors available, just thought I would show off this trap barrel I just did for a customer.

That looks very good. Keep up the painting. It's fun. Especially when you start doing the camo stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.