California 50 BMG

[ QUOTE ]
Fill me in. How does it get around the ban? Is it just a .50 with the case shortened a bit? I thought the ban covered all .50 cal center fire rifle ammo or does it specify ".50 BMG"? I also thought the guns had to be registered. If the gun is rebarreled or the chamber recut for this new round does it exempt it from the registry?

[/ QUOTE ]
im not sure if its enough to exempt it from the regestry, but i know its enough to get import paperwork for a couple of places that don't allow "military cartridges". If I recall, it keeps the same shoulder angle, so you can either turn the barrel back a thread and rechamber, or recut the chamber length on a lathe measuring with the approprate gauges.

[ QUOTE ]
The 50 beuwolf was one of the first to change the shoulder angles to beat the ban and of course there have been several different configurations of the case such as ackly like you said but if it had BMG in it's name it was still banned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im not an expert on this by any means, but the beowolf is a straight wall case with a rebated rim designed to fit the standard 5.56/223rem case head in ar15s. Its got a capacity between the 50AE and the 500S&W magnum. The one I shot had recoil about on par with a 20ga shotgun the same weight. Kinda neat, but im not sure what its good for... maybe feral hogs at close range?
The beowolf is a creation of alexander arms, who sells upper conversions for the ARs.

Thanks for the correction abinok! See what happens when you read too much you start to get facts confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
He should have called it the "510FCa". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fill me in. How does it get around the ban? Is it just a .50 with the case shortened a bit? I thought the ban covered all .50 cal center fire rifle ammo or does it specify ".50 BMG"? I also thought the guns had to be registered. If the gun is rebarreled or the chamber recut for this new round does it exempt it from the registry?

If it is only for the .50 BMG propper I can imagine there has been alot of Ackley improving going on over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ban is based on explicit dimensions of the BMG 50 cartridge; which means ANY deviation of the dimensions will remove it from falling into the scope of the ban. There already is a current round used in Europe for the past few years that is close; the .510 DTC Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.