Caliber / Cartridge for new LR rig

blacktail 8541

I am in the beginning stages of a new build for a 1000 yard plus long range build.
This will be for Targets plus the occasional Elk trip

I do not want the lapua length action if I can avoid it. I am also left handed.

My preferred action will have a LH bolt with right port. McMillan A3 stock.
with a Nightforce 5x22 or a Swaroski Z5 3x18

The choice I have narrowed it down to in the 30 caliber range is between the 30 nosler or the 300 Norma mag. In the 338 range, it is between the 338 Norma mag and the 338 Remington ultra mag.

One set would take the standard mag bolt face and the other the Lapua blot face.
This could possibly be a switch barrel set up.
I am leaning towards a Bartlien 3b, #4 or a light palma contour barrel. 26 inch to 28 + brake. Ideal weight will be between 10 and 11.5 lbs.

Bullet weight if 30 cal will be 210 + , 338 will start at the same and go to ?

With these perimeters, I need help selecting a cartridge. I don't have to have the biggest and baddest, but would like the horse power to take elk to 1250 maybe 1400 yards.

I do have considerable experience in 1000 yd +, but it has been awhile and not with the newer cartridges.

I do handload (30 +years). I am past wanting to play with wild cats. Been there and done that.

The .300 Ackley should get you there. Uses .300 Wby brass to form, and gives you more than the .300WM, and very similar performance to the .300 RUM, but uses the cheaper and easier to find .300 Wby brass.

Only drawback is finding a smith with a .300 Ackley reamer, and having a set of custom dies made.

If you run a lapua boltface a .750 2 lug or a 3 lug like the Curtis should be seriously considered. If 12-1400yds is a reality the bigger 338s have a decided advantage in both wind drift and on target energy.

The .300 Ackley should get you there. Uses .300 Wby brass to form, and gives you more than the .300WM, and very similar performance to the .300 RUM, but uses the cheaper and easier to find .300 Wby brass.

Only drawback is finding a smith with a .300 Ackley reamer, and having a set of custom dies made.

I really do not want to go the AI route. Don't what to use up valuable barrel life.
Also the reason I stated No Wild felines.. I also prefer no belt. I do appreciate the advise option though

If you run a lapua boltface a .750 2 lug or a 3 lug like the Curtis should be seriously considered. If 12-1400yds is a reality the bigger 338s have a decided advantage in both wind drift and on target energy.

The Curtis and Defiance actions are at the top of my list.

If you pick the .338 Bore. The 225 gr. bullet would be a better starting point. Short for diameter bullets do not have the BC or SD to fill your requirements. The proper twist to stabilize hi BC and SD long range bullets will be one of your most important decisions on this build. Good Luck on this adventure.

You would be best 230 grn 300 or start at 250 with 338NM.probably better barrel life with 338,better BC and better energy.Thats why I have 2,plus a 340wby

Theoretically, for typical 300WM velocities, the 215 Hybrid effectively matches the 230 out to a mile (farthest calculation run).. The 230gr has a 35 lb/ft energy advantage but drops about 1 mil more. Velocity and windage at 1 mile are virtually identical. 215 Target Hybrids at 2950fps vs. 230gr Target Hybrids at 2850fps. Standard conditions using the respective Bullet profile in the Applied Ballistics' Calculator.:Dgun)

To clarify , I was refering to the 300 or 338 Normas.Which the 338 NM easily out passes the 300 wn.My hunting bud shoots 300wm.Mine is 108 gr h2o cap.

I don't have to have the biggest and baddest, but would like the horse power to take elk to 1250 maybe 1400 yards.

I do have considerable experience in 1000 yd +, but it has been awhile and not with the newer cartridges.

I do handload (30 +years). I am past wanting to play with wild cats. Been there and done that.

.338 RUM! gun)

Belted cases are harder to reload for accuracy. New ones shoot very accurate, at least in my experience.

With several rifles with equal accuracy properly tested in different cartridges for the same caliber, the one with the least recoil will be the one you shoot most precisely with. It'll move around less while the bullet is going through the barrel.

I have a good amount of experience with hard kicking rifles. Used to shoot a 338 win mag as well as currently a 30-338. both with no brake and rifles under 10lbs. I have also shot numerous rifles that were considerably more unpleasant.

I have owned a 338 ultra mag in the past. I purchased it for the action and had to shoot it. 20 rounds in 0ne short session to see what it was like. I had a recoil headache for several hours. The sore shoulder did not show itself till the next day.

The planned rifle build will be set up correctly before partakeing of the fun this time , not a bare rifle from the bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.