Cabela's Sale

Engineering101

Just a heads up on a deal I got yesterday. Cabela's is having a "2nd amendment" sale. I saw they were selling Savage 12 FVs (which Savage does not offer anymore) for $319 and change. So I picked one up in 308 Win. Turns out if you have military service they take another 5% off of that so I ended up paying $304. The plastic stock isn't all that bad for plastic. Pretty good recoil pad and it has steel pillars and the barrel does float but... I put the barreled action into a 12 VLP stock I had laying around. Had to add bottom metal and a DBM but... now I have what is basically a 12 VLP which has an MSRP north of $1,100 for a whole lot less than that. It is CM matte and not stainless and doesn't have flutes on the barrel but I prefer matte and don't like flutes so in my mind it is even better. The reason I bought it was as a donor action for a 260 Rem barrel I ordered but I'm betting this 308 Win barrel (26" varmit contour in case you don't know Savages) will be a shooter. So I will swap barrels as the mood hits me. Stuck a Vortex Viper PST in 6X24 on top. It is a pretty slick long range practice rig for not much money. I'll probably slap it into a Boyd's Prairie Hunter if I get the inkling to take it hunting. So there you go. How can your wife say no to a deal like that for $304?

That's exactly the rifle I bought for my 6.5cm build except in 22-250. The stock barrel shot unbelievable. I was consistentlying shooting .25 or under moa 3 shot groups after I put the barreled action in a HS-PrecisionM24 . My dad picked one up a couple weeks ago for a 22-250 AI build he is doing. He shot it as was for one group and it shot a .580 5 shot group. He just dropped it in a Bobby Hart lrt stock for now until he gets his 22-250 AI barrel. If the wife would let me I'd be going to get another lol:D

Can you confirm the muzzle diameter of the barrel? May have to order one, but I would want to make sure I could thread it properly. I would also be interested to see the barrel diameter at 18" and 20" if possible.

Just a heads up on a deal I got yesterday. Cabela's is having a "2nd amendment" sale. I saw they were selling Savage 12 FVs (which Savage does not offer anymore) for $319 and change. So I picked one up in 308 Win. Turns out if you have military service they take another 5% off of that so I ended up paying $304. The plastic stock isn't all that bad for plastic. Pretty good recoil pad and it has steel pillars and the barrel does float but... I put the barreled action into a 12 VLP stock I had laying around. Had to add bottom metal and a DBM but... now I have what is basically a 12 VLP which has an MSRP north of $1,100 for a whole lot less than that. It is CM matte and not stainless and doesn't have flutes on the barrel but I prefer matte and don't like flutes so in my mind it is even better. The reason I bought it was as a donor action for a 260 Rem barrel I ordered but I'm betting this 308 Win barrel (26" varmit contour in case you don't know Savages) will be a shooter. So I will swap barrels as the mood hits me. Stuck a Vortex Viper PST in 6X24 on top. It is a pretty slick long range practice rig for not much money. I'll probably slap it into a Boyd's Prairie Hunter if I get the inkling to take it hunting. So there you go. How can your wife say no to a deal like that for $304?
I picked up one last time they had them, .308 as a donor as well. The problem I have is it shoots hornady 168gr bthp`s so well out to 800yrds . I cant see doing anything until I burn the barrel out . Get one , you wont regret it .

savatage

Mounted a PST on the new 308 and went to the range. Had 6 rounds loaded with 178 gr ELD-Xs and 45.0 gr RL-17. Fired 3 to get on paper and then fired the last three from 200 yards for a group. The group measured 0.609". Average velocity was 2,580 fps with and ES of 12. I'm thinking I kind of like this rifle, especially for $304.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.