sako a7 at cabelas

serpent71

I am looking to buy a 300 win mag. I saw these and wondering if anyone has had one. I am looking to build a rifle dont think i have enough funds so want to buy something that i can shoot awhile and upgrade as i go with a brake and trigger and stock down the road. Open to ideas cant spend more then 3000 on both rifle and optics. thanks for the help

I do.

Pros:
It's a Sako. No issues with function. Barrel cleans up nice. Comes with bases. B&C stock. Good recoil pad.

Cons:
Magazine is super short. Max COL is about 3.310". 1:11 twist limits your bullet selection but the magazine length does that already. No recoil lug (that's kinda weird) and may benefit from bedding. Sling studs are not loctited from the factory and spin.

I've only shot Berger 185 Classic Hunters so far. With a .225" jump, it doesn't lend itself to fine tuning through seating depth. The big jump does lend itself to avoiding pressure issues however. I started out using H-1000 and I'm not comfortable with the results. Decent accuracy at about 1" (5 shots) or just over but at longer ranges it opens up a little bit. Switched to Hybrid 100V and found a node that looks promising at about 1/2" @ about 3055 fps (3 shots in one hole, one right next to them and the last opened up a little but was probably me). Because of the big jump, I think they can be pushed a little faster than normal but as always, work your way up. I need to try some different bullets but I think I've found a load I can live with. I did not find the intrinsic accuracy of this rifle to be exceptional but I have also noticed that the 300 Win Mag in general, takes a bit of searching to find the right load. I suspect trying different bullets may surprise me.

Overall I'm very pleased with this rifle. I think there may be more accuracy to be had with the right bedding (not sure what that is yet).

ok thanks. Going to look at one saturday and not sure if its for me. I want to be able to upgrade as i can and maybe a sako isnt for me and should stick with a rem 700

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.