Which Sako A7?

kurtiss00

I think I have narrowed down my next rifle to a Sako A7 Roughtech Range. I like the fact it has 26" heavy barrel, good synthetic stock, and accuracy guarantee (5 shot 1"). What I am having a hard time deciding is whether to get the 300 win mag with 11" twist or the 7 rem mag with 9.5". I think the 300 might be more versatile but the 11" twist seems a little slow to me. My hunts start at around 3500' to over 10,000'. Mule deer and antelope are primarily on the menu. Which rifle should I choose? Are there other rifles of similar quality and size (26" hb, synthetic stock, aluminum bedding block) I should consider?

Thanks,

Kurtiss

I think I have narrowed down my next rifle to a Sako A7 Roughtech Range. I like the fact it has 26" heavy barrel, good synthetic stock, and accuracy guarantee (5 shot 1"). What I am having a hard time deciding is whether to get the 300 win mag with 11" twist or the 7 rem mag with 9.5". I think the 300 might be more versatile but the 11" twist seems a little slow to me. My hunts start at around 3500' to over 10,000'. Mule deer and antelope are primarily on the menu. Which rifle should I choose? Are there other rifles of similar quality and size (26" hb, synthetic stock, aluminum bedding block) I should consider?

Thanks,

Kurtiss

Both will serve you well for elk size game up 1000 yards. My SAKO M995 1:11" 24" in .300 WM harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards in 2013 propelling 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS of MV. My hunt area is from 3500' to 7500' of elevation.

This boils down to "personal choice" (in chambering and brand) as you'll soon see as recommendations starts coming in; my go to chambering is the .300 WM.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Ed

ADDED:

No hands on experience but I saw this posted on another site for your consideration, >>> http://www.browning.com/products/fi.../x-bolt-hells-canyon-long-range-mcmillan.html

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.