Ca approved bullets?

Opinions out there for types of bullets for hunting Elk, deer, antelope? Just starting the reload process, and the no-lead for CA...
A few of us have done a series of tests with the mono bullets here in California for the past roughly 8 years. All of us have concluded that the conventional bullet designs used in the mono core bullets perform best on class 3 game but they resulted in many hours of tracking to find class 2 game, even with normal proper shot placement. Often with very little to no blood trails. Nearly every one of that bullet design blew through and the exit holes were small. The only shots that performed well with them was shots that hit forward and broke shoulder etc. These either performed DRT or gave large blood trails.
The bullet design that has offered the best performance on class 2 and class 3 game were the Cutting Edge Raptor and the Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos bullets. These offered more DRT kills and performed very much like the old standby bullet the Nosler Partition. The CE Raptors performed the best for each of us but they are also very expensive. But the LH Chaos works very well so most have gone to using them. The guides I know have gone to telling clients that use the conventional lead free design to shoot forward to hit shoulder so that the bone fragments can add to the effectiveness of the bullet. The conventional bullet design seem to work their best on large bodied game when deep penetration is essential.

The Ballistic studies group pretty much has the same data as what we found. There is a write up and videos on their website that helps to confirm their findings as well. Be aware that they show up close images and video of kill wounds. You can check out their findings here:

Opinions out there for types of bullets for hunting Elk, deer, antelope? Just starting the reload process, and the no-lead for CA...
I have had great luck with Barnes TSX and TTSX on deer, antelope, and feral hogs from my .243, 6XC, 250-3000 Ackley Improved and my 22-250 Ackley Improved. I have not tried them out of 280 Ackley Improved, 338 Win Mag or my 340 Weatherby that are my elk guns. In the free states Nosler Accubonds and Nosler Partitions work great in these calibers for elk.

I live in California. I use Barnes TSX bullets. 140gr in my .270, 168gr in my .308 and 285 gr in my .338... All have been excellent.

Just because it's not approved but it's a non lead bullet and you've cut one in half, they will just take one and test it. You'll be fine. What caliber are you shooting?
I have shot lots of Barnes. One in 5 is a flyer and ya never know which one.
The Hornaday GMX are my goto in my 243. They are extremely accurate in that rifle.
I shoot Hammer in my 7mm Rem Mag. I think the 143's. They are sub moa. And several loads work well.
I shoot Barnes LRX 265's in my 338 Lapua. For long distance Bears. They are very accurate in that rifle. I couldn't get them to not throw flyers in my 7mm.
I wish I could say one works for all. It is not the case. Hammer bullets are pricey. But they are sub moa in every rifle I've tried them in and it's easy to find multiple loads that work. Barnes is hard for me to recommend. I've spent alot of $$$ on Barnes and was disappointed alot of the times. But the LRX's work in my 338 Lapua.

I hunt in CA, mostly using Barnes TTSX, TSX, or LRX. Never had a hard time with load development with any of those, and haven't encountered any issues regarding their lethality...

... but, Barnes bullets are increasingly difficult to come by right now if you're not already stocked up on them, so that's a point to consider. I've got some 64gr Hammers on the way for a fast twist .22-250, and as others have mentioned here, they seem to outshine the Barnes, so my verdict is still out for those, but I'm not expecting to be disappointed. I also use Nosler E-Tips, but only ever the 35 gr. in my 1:14 twist .22-250 for ground squirrels. Other lead free options for you are the Hornady GMX, Lehigh Defense, Cutting Edge, or Badlands. If it were me just getting started in the handloading process, I'd lean toward the Hammers.

Being in CA myself, I have had great luck with Nosler Etip in my 257 Wby. Cutting Edge Lazer in my 300 WBY and am currently doing load development with the Badlands Precision Bulldozer in my 7 SAUM and 280AI. So far the results are promising.

Hammers! I recently worked up a 181 Hammer Hunter load for my .300 WSM. I had a .5 MOA load in 12 shots. Their accuracy is amazing. I have not used them for hunting yet, but I have no doubt they will perform well on elk out to my 700 yd limit. Plus, they were delivered 2 days after I placed the order.

Barnes tsx and ttsx just make sure to pare the bullet length with rifle twist. Longer bullets need a faster twist. Barnes load data gives the recommended twist rate for each bullet. The E-tip bullets also work well and are lead free. Barnes has never let me down, I shoot them in .223/5.56 all the way up to .338 wm and .458 SOCOM. I even shoot them in my muzzleloader.

This Canadian family in BC using Barnes copper bullets when hunting out in the Canadian bush. You can skip ahead to the 17:40 (17 minutes 40 second) time marker for the reference to the Barnes bullet. He shows clearly how well it expands...like a perfect little flower! By the way their channel on youtube is called Gridlessness if you're interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.