BUYERS BEWARE

Yep,its a pretty bad deal.An unsuspecting buyer wont have much recourse.Theres already been accuzations on other forum sale ads of genuine Mark IVs being called phonys and Im sure scaring off potential buyers.Just a bad deal all the way around.

I find it hard to believe that any of these counterfeits are not being produced with the consent of the chinese government. This applies to pharmaceuticals, golf clubs, cameras, ...

It seems the best option for the moment is to purchase from well-known distributors such as SWFA, Bear Basin and Midway to name a few. You know those will be the real thing.

Good info to have. We are looking for a new Leupold for my sons 270 WSM. We'll be careful where we buy from. Thanks for the info.

If we can be of help feel free to ask we are an authorized Leupold Dealer. Also we played a big part in bring this to Leupold attention.

Mike @ CST

What makes you think that BearBasin.com is on the up and up?

I just called them about a price match - from their site:

"All Trijicon scopes will be shipped free of charge via 3 Day Air!! If you find a cheaper advertised price, we will beat it by $15 Bucks!"

They asked me if the product was in stock which had nothing to do with the above promise. When I told them that the competing site said they had stock, they told me they wouldn't trust that as valid. I provided the link so they could check!

So they basically told me that they wouldn't match the price ... where is the integrity in that? If not there, why do you think they have it anywhere? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Most companies we will price match but for one they always say they have items in stock and they do not. I know why Bear Basin does request it to be in stock. A lot of non authorized dealers will post a low price and say they have it in stock but do not and you buy it and have to weight for it to come in.

We at CS Tactical will price match also.

Mike @ CS TACTICAL.com

To me ... it seems like if you make an ad claim that is unqualified, then there shouldn't be later qualifications.

The commitment stands on its words and the word of the committer is only as good as the willingness to honor the the commitment.

The title of this forum is "buyer beware" and you raised it. Now it seems that you are making excuses for seller misrepresentations. I believe that if the ad is conditional or has qualifications, then it should say so.

I do have good news relative to purchasing the particular scope I was looking for -- I did get the price match from SWFA . They honored their guarantee.

End result: I am very happy with the product and may have found a Web dealer that I can trust in SWFA. Bottom line: I will buy from them again!

I don't like to spend all my time searching for a dealer on the web only to find out that I cannot trust them. It is so easy to get burned. Over the internet, I don't get much of an opportunity to determine if a dealer is what I consider reputable. Part of my approach toward finding a reputable online dealer is to test their different ads from time to time.

Question that comes to mind after reading your reply: Do you have additional qualifications not stated in your guarantees?
No insult intended ... it seems a fair question. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts