Burris Eliminator III Scope Review

I am glad my review was helpful, but honeslty the scope sells itself. If someone is willing to give it an honest test, they will want to own the scope. I have taken many coyotes with the scope that I know I would not have taken with other gun/scope combinations. In Eastern NC, you might be on a big field calling, but the yotes might skirt around behind a ditch line or hedgerow, giving you seconds to range, dope and make the shot. With the E-3, it is aim, press and shoot....go pick up the dead yote.

Good shooting my friends.

Roger

I just got the rifle together and hope to get to the range within a week.gun) I can't wait to try this tool out. Thanks again for the review

I am still reading hunting laws, but so far, at least in ID and AK, it appears that scopes like this (and even very simple ones with just illuminators) are not allowed.

The way I am interpreting the rules, if you have a separate hand held laser rangefinder, that is ok, but if it is mounted on the rifle, it isn't.

Maybe some others can help clarify this area for me.

Thanks

Looking at Idaho laws and it only states it is illegal to hunt:

*Any wildlife species with the aid of artificial light, except predatory and unprotected wildlife, see page 99.

*With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]except [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed.

I am not a lawyer or legal expert but to this mechanical engineers reasoning the above does not say you cannot use the Burris scope. All the range finder does is provide the range and the scopes lighted reticle provides the correct holding point. Windage is only provided by user input at the time of setting up the bullet ballistics. The laser is not classified as "artificial light", the human eye or the animal eye cannot see the laser beam. When night hunting I use artificial light, I.e. "spot light" for pig hunting. Spotlighting game animals has always been illegal at least where I live.

"With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]except [/FONT][/FONT]scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed."

To me thats saying that the Burris Eliminator is illegal,

Illuminated reticles are fine, so an Acog or an Aimpoint or any other illuminated reticle would be legal in states that allow it.
However the Eliminator doesnt just have an illuminated reticle it has a laser rangefinder, and with the Eliminator III an angle indicator and a ballistic computer.
And technically the laser rangefinder is an artificial light source, its out of the visible spectrum for humans but it is still a light source attached to or incorporated on the rifle or scope.

Handheld rangefinders are legal to use, but If you strapped one to your rifle it would become illegal.

This is an interesting legal question, the laws are not clear on this because they were written before technology like this was available to hunters.

If you want to use the Eliminator for hunting and are unsure of the legality I would ask a Game Warden about it, and if you do get the "green light" to use it, I would ask for that in writing that way you can show it to any other Game Warden and avoid a Citation

Good thing I'm only going to Colorado. :) I have seen this scope used on various hunting programs but I'll have to pay attention from now on as to where they use it. That doesn't mean it's OK just because they used it but it would be a little more comforting. As stated it would be best to check with the state before you hunt with this product.

Good thing I'm only going to Colorado. :) I have seen this scope used on various hunting programs but I'll have to pay attention from now on as to where they use it. That doesn't mean it's OK just because they used it but it would be a little more comforting. As stated it would be best to check with the state before you hunt with this product.
I think Burris should have interest in this thread. After all they are selling the scopes. I still believe the laws as written are dealing with spot and flashlight attachments to the weapon. I may be wrong but one thing I will say is- I will use the Eliminator III no matter what some game commission says. If it is isn't allowed I will just find a friendly state to spend my money.

One more time---I have watched this thread and once again here is my thought:
The way AK and ID words the restriction is in my opinion addressing night vision and thermal vision both which can be used individually or as attachments to your existing scope or rifle. There is also laser powered flashlights that can be attached to your scope of rifle. The way Burris designs the scope, nothing is illuminated when using the range finder or the incline angle. I say no more about this scope except to say I love it and will use on all my Texas hunts.

I understand the BE III can be programmed for 200 yard zero. I think that means longer range shooting capability using a flat trajectory cartitage right? Can someone provide incite on this. I realize the obsticle of have a target appear at 50 YDs but please discuss the benifits of targets at 800-1000YDS.

Thanks
ODAVID

I have a Burris Eliminator III mounted on a semi custom Sako 75 with a pacnor barrel, in 270 win caliber. I have it zeroed for 100 yards and am shooting Hornady Superformance 130 gr bullets at 3200 FPS, the drop on this bullet is 114 inches at 750 yards which is what the burris ammo chart provided. (they have ballistics on virtually all ammo available) or you can provide your own handload info programming the BC and drop at 750 yards. The scope will range out to 1200 yards but it will only provide a firing solution for my caliber and ballistics out to 1116 yards! trying to range past that and it just won't give you any solution! It displays a "too far code" I hit a torso target at 1100 yards with this setup and verified the drop at 750 yards which was within 2 inches of the factory specs. There are many other flat shooting calibers out there that would take the scope to its max range of 1200 yards and on the flip side there are those (308 etc...) that may only get you to 800-900 yards due to the bullet trajectory. It is a pretty sweet setup in the field eliminating the need for a separate range finder and dialing of the turret, as the programming within the scope takes a fraction of a second to give you the firing solution, literally just push the button put the red dot on the target and shoot! As for the previous post about sighting in at 200 vs 100 yards, the literature from Burris only makes reference to 100 yard sight in and drop at 750 and they say your bullet must have 230 inches or less drop at 750 yards when sighted in at 100 perhaps a phone call to Burris is in order to answer the 200 yard sight in question!

I was just wondering if the Burris Eliminator III can be adjusted for barometric pressure, coriolis effect, ammo temp, and a zero stop as well as everything that the scope doesnt already correct for?

375rifleman

I know Burris continues to improve their programs and are including many improvements in future models.
Zero stop- That is not needed as the scope automatically returns to zero after it "times out" or is reset for another distance. Your "zero" is always the cross-hair center. You never touch the vertical adjustment once you have sighted in.

Coriolis effect: Max effect of the Coriolis effect for most guns is about 1 moa at 1000 yards. To account for it in the program, they will need to install a GPS and magnetic compass. I don't know if this being incorporated but I am sure it will be as the scope gets more advanced.

It is my understanding the next model will have a level installed, so you can make sure you don't have any rifle cant.

As for ammo temp, that is a variable I don't see any way to correlate to the scope.

I believe future programs will address altitude and BP into the program, but for wind speed and direction, once you get past 300 yards, winds change direction and speed. There is no way for this scope to be able to detect down range wind speed and direction.

For the money, I thing the EIII is an awesome tool and I have yet to miss with it, even without the "new technology" we have discussed here. I still believe in human adjustments and the need for a long range shooter to be able to make mental adjustments to make the shot. If you want a gun that does it all, you need to come up with $15,000.00 and buy a Tracking Point, which I hope to demo soon.

As for other questions about sight in and drop. The program is only set for 50 yards (Black Powder) and 100 yards (center fire) rifles. On my 6-47 I can shoot out past 1000 yards without losing vertical drop POA as you read in my article. Honestly how much more do you need? I would never shoot at an animal (other than a coyote or ground hog) at 1000 yards with my 6-47 as the knock down is too light by that distance for any ethical shot on a game animal. I don't see any need for the scope to engage targets past 1000 regardless of the round you are shooting, as it then becomes an ethical question of "not can you hit it, but should you even try?"

Roger

I meant to correct for ammo temp, coriolis effect and barameteric pressure on the turrets and then change the turrets back to the previous zero not for the scope to correct for these variables by itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.