Burris C4 scope, thoughts?

ARTD338

Like most hunters I try to get the most for my money. I am looking for a cartridge specific scope with as uncluttered view as I can get, and the new for 2014 Burris C4 Plus (not the discontinued model) seams to fit my requirements quite well, and it's reasonably priced. I plan on buying a rifle in 300wsm. As the longest range that is available for my frequent use/practice is 700 yards, that shall be my max range.

This scope will be for all around hunting and NOT a dedicated long range rig. For this reason, I strongly prefer to keep my magnification range max at 12x-15x, so I am looking for a 3-9x or 4-12x, as I feel this will give me the most versital application for hunting in both short range cover as well as long range open areas.

I personally have been blessed with all my shots on elk were below 200 yards and never had to let a bull go because he was out of range, but both of my hunting partners have. Sadly both had to let true trophy bulls escape into thick timber because they were less than 500 yards away and could not close the distance in time to make the shot. I don't wont that to happen to me, and I know it is simply a matter of time till it happens to me.

I have shot often enough to 400 yards with my .338wm to know I can keep my shots in Coleman fuel can laid on it's side with boring regularity doing so while trying to replicate actual in the field shooting form such as shooting off any improvised rest I could think of and off my Stony Point shooting stick as well. So I don't think I am boasting on my part to say with practice I should become proficient out to 700 yards.

So I am asking for all experienced based input I can get about the new Burris C4 scope.

Thanks,
Arthur.

youll probably get answers from two camps here. One will say you nee a 1k plus dollar scope or your wasting your money. the other will say that x brand for the same price is a much better scope and that one is trash. even though theyve never owned one. Ill say this. Ive owned a few and have opinions on whats best in that price range too. I could recomend one of what i thought was best but it isnt that much better then what your allready looking at to make a difference in the field huntng deer. That burris will take care of any hunting situation out to 500 yards with no trouble at all.

It should serve you well for your intended purpose.

I was looking at the same model earlier for an upcoming project/ upgrade but I'm now holding off until I can get my hands on the veracity line.

I am not familiar with the Burris C4 scope but have looked through other Burris riflescopes and own a Burris Blackdiamond 6-24X50 and a couple of Burris 3X pistol scopes. The only one that I would put in the "do not buy" category is the Fulfield models, because I believe the optics are wanting and they are not a good value. IMO, the higher the magnification the better lenses and lens coatings are required to give the needed resolution and clarity. It varies from person to person, but as I get older I need more magnification and to get the quality of sight picture. I spend more on optics than I did when I was younger. At forty years of age I could shoot 600+ yds on a deer with a scope set a 4X and over two more decades of living wouldn't consider this shot. If the scope looks clear with your eyes through all magnification settings with your eyes it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. I knew of a guy in Arkansas that had a full custom rifle built and when asked what glass he put on it he spit his tobacco juice on the ground and proudly stated " Tasco World Class". This worked for him!

Thank you Sirs for you honest and highly informative replies. I appreciate the level of common sense in all of your thoughts and advice. As much as I would dearly love to spend the $$$ on a scope in the class of a Night Force or similar scope, but the realities of life simply don't allow me such a excessively costly wont.

Again, thanks to all,
Arthur.

The C4 Plus scopes appear to be identical to the C4 scopes, except for the addition of the WindMap sticker. The Burris folks told me at SHOT that they did not market the C4 scopes well when they first came out and are attempting to re-launch the product this year.

The C4 Plus scopes have the same optical and mechanical design as the corresponding E1 scopes. The optical performance is quite good for that price point. Resolution is good and the contrast as above average. The clicks are not very strong, which I think is fine for a BDC turret because you're turning to a range value, rather than counting clicks. I recommend getting the 30 mm tube versions to get extra internal adjustment.

Thanks to all for well thought out responses and for such concise information contained in them. As is the fact that is reality for those of us like me who work for a living, there is the equipment I want VS what I can afford of justify the expense of. I can easily afford a scope in the Burris's price range, as much as I would love to buy a scope made by the likes of NF, USA optics and others in their class, I simply can not justify the expense.

Be well to all,
Arthur.

I have two of the C4 scopes. 3x9 and 4.5x14. They both work very well and I would not hesitate to recommend either. I also have Leupold vx3 4.5x14 on a 30 mm tube with side focus and cds that is very nice but was twice the cost of the Burris.

I'm new to this site and just found this thread. Last year I bought a Savage .223 that came with a Nikon BDC scope mounted. I plan to use it for coyotes and this year I decided to try my luck with wolves and bought a rifle that I had 30 years ago, a Ruger M77 in 25-06. After a little research I put a Burris C4 Plus on it and went to the range. I worked up a MOA chart for the factory ammo that I was shooting and took along my Leica rangefinder for accurate distance. After a few rounds to get zeroed at 100 yards I ranged a steel plate at 200 yards and checked the chart and dialed in the bullet drop on the turret and smacked the plate. The next plate was almost 400 yards out according to the Leica so I checked the chart numbers and cranked in the turret and after three shots also smacked that plate.

Now I was sold on the Burris C4 Plus and I wanted one for the .223. I bought my first one for the sale price of $299 and wanted to get the AR model for the second rifle at the same price. I found one in Texas and bought it. The AR-5.56 version of the C4 Plus comes with a custom clicker already calibrated for a 3200 fps 55gr bullet. As soon as it arrived I pulled the Nikon off of the Savage and mounted the Burris. I boresighted it on my kitchen table as best I could and headed to the range. It was shooting one inch to the left at 25 yards and about the right height. Three shots later and it was zeroed and I punched a hole in the 100 yard target. It went exactly where I aimed.

The Leica ranged the second target, another steel plate, at just under 200 yards to I rotated the turret accordingly and smacked that plate. The next target is a steel plate of a turkey at 300 yards. I dialed it in and again, after two shots went high the third one smacked steel. gun)

Wanting to see if the scope would track back in I dialed it back to just under 200 yards and hit the first steel plate, off hand no less. :)

I'm sold on the Burris C4 plus. The day that I sighted in the 25-06 there was a crosswind blowing and I used the windage chart on the scope and it held true. The AR model that I bought also had a pleasant surprise, an ARD was mounted on the front. Both scopes are 4.5x14-42mm and I wondered if the ARD would fit the scope on my 25-06, it does so I'm also going to order one of those for that scope.

I'm not into shooting critters at 600 or 700 yards but I am into making good clean shots out to 500 with whatever rife I have at the time. I believe the Burris C4 Plus on both of these rifles will help me do that.

(no, I don't work for Burris, but I do like their scopes) :D I hope this helps. Bud

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.